Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Global Attack Mod for Crit Range Toggle

So I'm trying to use the global attack mod, to change the crit range to 19-20 when HEXBLADE'S CURSE from warlock is on, as a toggle instead of a query, as this statment " ?{Hexblade's Curse?|No,20|Yes,19}". Is this toggle even possible? what I have now is: -On the crit range of the weapon "@{global_attack_mod}" And on the global attack mod:"19"
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
From what I understand of your question, you are asking if you can set a value on your sheet with a query? Not with a normal macro, but it can be done via the API, notably ChatSetAttr.
keithcurtis said: From what I understand of your question, you are asking if you can set a value on your sheet with a query? Not with a normal macro, but it can be done via the API, notably ChatSetAttr. Not a query, have the check mark on the global attack modification table change the value of crit check on the attack. If it isn’t selected it should be 20, if it is selected, it should change it to 19 or 20 on the roll of the dice the crit. What is doing now, is sum up the value of the D20 with the 19. Example: 15 + 19. (Attack roll)
Spren
Sheet Author
Whether or not a roll is a crit is determined by the roll formula on that dice. Adding a global mod doesn't change the formula of the roll so I don't think what you are asking is doable with a global mod. For example 1d20cs>20 would crit on a 20, with a global mod the formula would be 1d20cs>20+<whatever your mod is>. The original isn't changed. The easiest solution for you would probably be to make a second attack that has the expanded crit range and name it "Hexblade" or something that makes it clear this isn't your normal attack.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Ah, I see. Spren has the right of it, then. The Global Damage Modifier only modifies the damage of the attack, not the hit formula.
Actually, I think you can nest attribute calls inside of critical chance. Something like [[1d20cs>[[20- @{global_attack_mod} ]]]] Assuming your global attack mod is usually 0, that criticals on a 20, but if the attribute is changed to 1, then it crits on a 19. Seems like you have to nest that in double square brackets so that it'll calc first, but I've used it for other things.
Inquisitor Daedalus Cain said: Actually, I think you can nest attribute calls inside of critical chance. Something like [[1d20cs&gt;[[20- @{global_attack_mod} ]]]] Assuming your global attack mod is usually 0, that criticals on a 20, but if the attribute is changed to 1, then it crits on a 19. Seems like you have to nest that in double square brackets so that it'll calc first, but I've used it for other things. man I can't seem to make that work. I put that in the crit window of the ability and the adding stuff comes like "<span class="inlinerollresult showtip tipsy-n-right fullcrit" original-title=" Rolling 1d20cs>10 + 3[CHA] + 2[PROF] = ( 10 )+3+2" style="box-sizing: content-box; font-size: 20px; line-height: 12px; text-align: center; font-weight: 700; background-color: rgb(211, 229, 245); border: 0px; padding: 0px; cursor: help; width: 30px; color: rgb(63, 179, 21); font-family: &quot;Helvetica Neue&quot;, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;">15 &nbsp;+&nbsp; 1"
Spren
Sheet Author
Like I said Ragnar. What you are trying to do isn't possible using the global mod options on the 5e OGL character sheet. What those mods do is exactly what you are seeing, adds a dice roll to the initial roll in the format of "+ &lt;global mod roll&gt;". So you end up with "&lt;original roll&gt; + &lt;global mod roll&gt;" when you toggle on your global mod. The thing you want to do is to modify the "original roll" but global mods just doesn't do that and there isn't a way to change that as far as I know. Now, it is totally possible with a custom macro and the way Inquisitor Cain suggested, and probably a few other tricks, but that isn't the same as a toggle. It'd be a new macro, and a new macro is the same as just making a second attack on the sheet and using the already existing expanded crit range option there. Which is still what I think your best option is.