Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Need help cleaning up old image links in long running pathfinder living campaign

Good evening, There are a large number of files that return 403,404,503, and 504 status codes whenever we launch into the game. On top of this, there are a similar number that return a 200 code but are turned into image errors because roll20 couldn't find the image at the source. My problem is in finding where the heck these image files are referenced. We have well over 100 players with up to four characters each, and who knows how many hand-outs. Taking this into consideration I thought I'd try to further monitor the network traffic and parse through the javascript to see if I can find where these links are brought up. However I've had no luck. So, I come to y'all hoping for some tips, tricks, and other bits of advice on how to find and clean out these image references so that our load into the game isn't as long and painful. Best Regards and thanks for your time. --Missionz3r0 (apologies if this is the wrong forum for this, but seemed the most fitting for this kind of request)
To anyone that stumbles upon this post in the future and is looking to do something similar. What we ended up doing is recreating one of the main maps for our campaign. No copy and pasting. We made it from scratch. Then we deleted the old map. This did the trick. We're no longer seeing all those broken link requests. Now as to what caused the issue? My guess is this. Since the campaign is a Living Campaign that has been running for a long while, items that have been dropped onto the map accumulated. Then were forgotten about. Players came and went and more of these items accumulated. Eventually links started dying, but since the object didn't show up anymore nobody noticed. And this process continued until we had well over 300+ of these broken links. Removing all these dead links has actually shown a significant improvement on our loading time. Some players have reported 2-4 minutes faster loading into the map.

Edited 1539910477
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
By Living Campaign, I assume you mean you have had a number of GMs over a period of time, building maps and other visual assets? I haven't had problems with breaking links, but I don't share GM duties. I'm assuming this happened because a previous GM(s) either cleaned old images out of their library, or perhaps deleted their account. As I understand, an image placed from someone's library retains the link to that library, regardless of what game they are in or what their status is in that game. My guess is that a previous GM or 2 did some housecleaning, not realizing the repercussions of the deletion. I'm glad you found a solution and that it has increased your game response speed. I'm going to close this, but if you still have questions or a problem, feel free to open a new thread. And apologies for not seeing this 5 days ago.