Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Expanded Dice Roll (in chat)

This is Q4, of the 4-part post I originally made here:&nbsp; <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/6888292/roll20-html-assistance/?pageforid=6888531#post-6888531" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/6888292/roll20-html-assistance/?pageforid=6888531#post-6888531</a> I'm skipping questions 2 &amp; 3, b/c the more I look at my project, the less important my original 2 &amp; 3 questions seem. Moving on... in Q4 of the post linked above, I was asking how to properly format my HTML so that when the dice roll appears in the chat window, it would appear with all of the individual rolls separated, as pictured here:&nbsp; <a href="https://wiki.roll20.net/images/6/61/Textchat.jpg" rel="nofollow">https://wiki.roll20.net/images/6/61/Textchat.jpg</a> Currently, all of my PC Sheet's dice rolls are formatted like this&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;[[@{dienum}d@{dicetype})]]&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;which shows the sum of all rolls made. Since the system I'm using is very close to the Shadowrun system (where each dice roll is checked against a certain threshold), it would be nice if each, individual dice roll could be seen in chat (in case someone accidentally clicks on the screen, wiping the 3D dice from the screen). Also, on occasion, I have formulas which add modifiers to the variable dice rolls, such as [[ ((@{dienum}d@{dicetype}+some_mod)+@{some_mod}) ]], &amp; it'd be REALLY nice to have each dice roll, individually shown WITH the mod that is attached to each, individual roll... but somehow, I don't see that being a simple, one-line formula.

Edited 1539658888
Are aware of the tooltip mouseover? This can show the individual rolls if you hover your mouse pointer over a roll result while keeping chat neat and clean. If you really want to show the rolls in chat like the screenshot you link to, you would need to structure your rolls like this: /roll [[@{dienum}]]d[[@{dicetype}]] I'm not sure if you can make buttons on a character sheet use the /roll command. I will have to try and see. Yep, you can! &lt;button type="roll" name="roll_summary" title="roll_summary" value="/roll [[@{dienum}]]d[[@{dicetype}]]"&gt;

Edited 1539660763
GiGs
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
By the way, it looks like you have an extra ) you don't need: [[@{dienum}d@{dicetype} ) ]]&nbsp; should be [[@{dienum}d@{dicetype}]]&nbsp; Are these rolls using a roll template? If you are, you wont be able to get the output looking like that. As Rabulias says you can check the tooltips. Alternatively, you don't have to use the inline roll brackets. You could have the rolls with a value =&nbsp; /roll @{dienum}d@{dicetype} You can also include the comparison vs success in the roll itself /roll @{dienum}d@{dicetype}&gt;6 (Note: in roll20 &gt; means "equal to or over", there is no =&gt; operator.) If you have tio apply modifiers, apply them to the target number, like /roll @{dienum}d@{dicetype}&gt;[[?{target|6}+?{modifier|0}]] You do need to use inline rolls on the target number there if you are applying modifiers. You can combine inline rolls, if you just want to see the final result [[@{dienum}d@{dicetype}&gt;[[?{target|6}]] ]] (You dont need inline roll brackets in that target above since there's no addition being done there, but i did it to show you can nest inline rolls.) Note: if you dont want to do any calculation, you can just roll the dice and sort them from high to low or vice versa, which makes it a lot easier to assess the final result. /roll @{dienum}d@{dicetype}sd Finally, if you only care about the best result, you can use kh (keep highest) notation: [[ {@{dienum}d@{dicetype}}kh1 ]]&nbsp;

Edited 1539660426
Ares
Pro
Yes, I am aware of the mouse-over, Rabulias... &amp; thx for your suggestion. (&amp; I was unaware that you could "code" roll commands into html, Rabulias... thx for testing that idea out &amp; adding your results!!) GG, thank you for your very detailed explanation. It seems like I've tried "unbracketing" my html calcs before, with some sort of problem, but seeing as how I also seem to have a problem (or bad habit of) overlooking extra brackets (e.g. my other post I did the same, d*** thing), it's likely I just screwed up something that could have been right.&nbsp; Thanks, as always, for all of you guy's prompt, courteous / professional, &amp; detailed explanations. I should be able to put something together with the info you've provided. Until next time.........