Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Using Alt +E and Wheel rotates 4.1 degrees not 1 degree at a time.

Mike W.
Pro
Sheet Author
According to the Wiki:&nbsp; <a href="https://wiki.roll20.net/Manipulating_Graphics" rel="nofollow">https://wiki.roll20.net/Manipulating_Graphics</a> &nbsp;states: You can also rotate a selected token by holding down the E key while scrolling your mouse wheel. This will rotate snap it to 45° or 30° increments. If you also hold down the Alt key, the token will rotate one degree at a time. However when I try it, it only takes 22 clicks to rotate 90 degrees when it should have taken 90 such mouse wheel clicks. Thus it is rotating some 4.1 degrees per mouse wheel click. I am doing this on a Hex map if that makes any difference I do not know.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Many mouse drivers have options to control the "speed" of a wheel click. Have you tried this experiment with different scroll wheel speeds? I'd verify over here, but the computer I am on has a track pad and the mouse surface is a touch pad.
Mike W.
Pro
Sheet Author
Ok Keith, I will give that a try.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
I've confirmed that on my system at least, the Alt-E movement is continuous. My mouse doesn't have a click wheel, but a touchpad wheel area. My assumption is that the actual movement is very much dependent on mouse and system. I'll check into having the wiki page corrected, probably to "If you also hold down the Alt key, the token will rotate in much finer increments."

Edited 1540006015
Mike W.
Pro
Sheet Author
I turned the Mouse settings all the way down to 1, still is not rotating in 1 degree increments. Still only takes 22 clicks to rotate 90 degrees. I can't seem to figure out how to get the 1 degree increments, Not a high priority but I do have a token that I need to rotate that fine.
Confirmed; with ALT-E held, it takes exactly 22 clicks to rotate a token 90 degrees on my system as well, regardless of mouse settings.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Mike W, If you need exact rotational increments, you are a Pro user and can take advantage of Token Mod. If you do not already have the script installed, I highly recommend it; it is available as a One-click Install. The following macro can give you arbitrary rotation: !token-mod --set rotation|?{Input rotation amount|0} If you can explain your use case more, I might be able to help you fine-tune that into something more useful.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Also, I just dug an old click wheel mouse out of my hall closet. It took exactly 90 clicks to rotate 90 degrees. My conclusion continues to be that the behavior is dependent on hardware or software (driver), and I have modified the wiki accordingly. Since it is impossible to predict what a given user will use (depending on where I am, I use a track pad, a touch-surface mouse, a pressure-sensitive tablet, or in one location, a click-wheel mouse) the answer will have to be "finer increments". I'll keep this thread open a few more days in case I can help you fine tune the macro more.
Mike W.
Pro
Sheet Author
That is so strange. I will try messing with my mouse settings and see what happens. At least it is not a show stopper or anything like that.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
It sounds like the settings are immaterial according to your first test. I wouldn't put a terrible amount of effort into it.
Mike W.
Pro
Sheet Author
Seems to be Chrome Using Chrome version 70.0.3538.67 (Official Build) (64-bit) does not work in 1 degree increments Using Firefox&nbsp;62.0.3 (64-bit) works fine Windows 10
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Thanks Mike, I'll go ahead and report this behavior.
Mike W.
Pro
Sheet Author
Thanks Keith
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
You're welcome. I'm going to go ahead and close this thread, because this is probably not a high-priority fix. If you'd like an update or discover something else, please feel free to open a new thread.