Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

A Shady Merchant Approaches

Edited 1550527896
Matt
Plus
A short but very bulky man in a coat slithers into the Guild Hall late one night and casually seats himself at a table with some Guild members, looking at each of them in turn, but saying nothing. Much of his face is hidden behind an enormous, bushy black beard, which seems at odds with his bright blond eyebrows. As the conversation dies down around him, he starts to speak in a deep voice that seems contrived somehow, "So, how would some of you folks like to..." He trails off as he notices that each word he says causes more hair from his beard to fall out onto the table, which causes him to mumble, "Damn potion was supposed to last twelve hours. I'm gonna get that guy." He attempts to continue without showing too much frustration, "Would any of you fine people like something a bit... medicinal? Maybe something to help you out with your troubles? Maybe something to make your life a little easier?" Upon seeing the confused looks, he opens his trench coat, revealing a plethora of powders, potions, and other items. With his newly revealed hairless face, his diminutive form under the coat, and his overly "deep" voice, it is clearly recognizable that this man is in fact a child on stilts. Upon seeing that the Guild members recognize his true nature, the salesman becomes slightly flummoxed and states in a much higher-pitched voice, "All right, all right, you got me. If you don't tell anyone, I can give you a pretty sweet deal and maybe even throw in a little something extra for my loyal and trustworthy customers." This merchant will sell you any potion or consumable at 60% of the list price (so 40% discount). In addition, if you purchase more than five items from him, he will give one of the following items for free (limit one per character): WD-4000 (Consumable): As a free action, this item can be applied to a lock, hinge, or other metal object, granting the user a +2 bonus to Thievery checks to pick the lock or a +2 bonus to Stealth checks to move the item silently. On a check of a natural 1, the solution corrodes the metal item, making it unworkable. Jar of Local Dragon Bee Honey (Consumable): This honey is prized among Dragonborn and other Draconic folk. Consuming this honey causes your body to release pheromones that are very mollifying to Dragons, Dragonborn, Lizardmen, and other reptilian creatures, granting a +2 bonus to all Charisma-based checks with such creatures for eight hours. On a check of a natural 1, your body produces fear and aggression pheromones instead, causing any reptilian creatures you encounter for the next eight hours to attack you in rage. Neither of the above items can be sold for any value or transferred to other characters outside of a session. Please post/RP your purchases below! The merchant will leave Sunday, November 4 at 23:59 Pacific time . Credit: the idea for this merchant came from Melissa because I did not feel like being creative this morning.

Edited 1540921121
Gabriela smiles fondly at the young boy's antics, but doesn't pay much attention to his wares. She's never been one to use potions or medicines. Until, that is, something catches her eye - a handful of very small dark red bottles tucked away right in the corner of the boy's trenchcoat, with a hand-written label reading "Ultra-Concentrated Blood Apricot Juice". She walks up to him and asks, "May I try those? The regular kind never did much for me. A bit too much apricot." Once she's got permission, she unscrews the cap, dips one finger in and tastes it, then beams with joy and buys out the entire stock. She also agrees to take a jar of the dragon bee honey, at the request of one of the junior Guild members. (Buying Fruit of Life x12) Sujian initially ignores the merchant. Some hours later, however, she returns to the Guild with singes and scrapes across her body, though with a pleased, almost triumphant look in her eye. Approaching the merchant, she announces, "The dragons of this world are truly deserving of the name. Even when young they are fearsome and proud. You say this honey of yours will help with training them? How many of your other wares must I buy before you will give me that honey?" (Buying Potion of Vitality x5) Amber drifts up to the child. "Hello potion seller. I am going into battle, and I want your strongest potions." After a brief but lively discussion, she ends up buying an assortment of his moderately potent potions instead. (Buying level 11 Rust Bark x3, Fugacious Stone x1, level 11 Elixir of Flying x3, Potion of Vitality x5, Potion of Spectral Form x20) Gale's eyes light up when she sees the boy's selection of frozen whetstones. "Ooh, I need those!" She dashes over to him, skidding to a halt right before she crashes into him, and starts scooping up as many as she can carry. Then she shoves those ones into her pockets so she can grab yet more, ending up with both arms cupped in front of her to hold in a giant pile of them. "Turns out if you grind them up real small and mix them with firedust you get - well I can't show you in here, but it looks really pretty. Nice trick with the beard, by the way. Just gotta wait a few years on that, huh? You'll get there." Once she's dumped them all in her room, she comes back to buy some really spicy rum and a few potions. (Buying level 7 Frozen Whetstone x50, level 11 Elixir of Flying x3, level 8 Burning Bronze Rye x10 and taking WD-4000) Cassie sidles up to the merchant and grabs a bunch of his blood apricots. "Dunno what Gabby was on about, these things aren't so bad." Once she's taken a few, she asks him, "Got anything that'll stop me getting eight flavours of crap beaten out of me? Wouldn't mind wearing that huge armour those paladin-types like, but I've gotta be able to move." (Buying Blood Apricot x10, Stone of Shielding x5) Evelyn gives the child an unusually warm smile. "Hello! I would like to purchase..." Opening her purse, she sees how bare it is, and frowns as she takes out of meagre handful of coins to show him. "What do you have I could purchase with this?" (Buying Coin of Good Luck x2, level 7 Frozen Whetstone x6)

Edited 1540755991
Vhai
Plus
Khojin picks up 6 Coins of Good Luck and some Dragon Bee Honey. For...recreational purposes. Nalin comes in and looks around for a time, before settling on acquiring a number of shards of Canian Ice. Perhaps if Filain ever returned he would appreciate a readier access to some of his father's power. He also pockets a jar of the dragon bee honey for each of them, as gifts for Melissa. (purchasing 20 frozen whetstones each for Nalin and Filain, each of them is getting dragon honey)
Huilliam looks at his poor amount of gold and bought what he could. He gets 10 Syllables of Grace, 2 Whetstones of Combustion, 1 Foulbranch Seed = 435. Quiarra carefully controls a mechanical device, with whirling spinners and flashing lights to go up and get 10 Four-Sided Caltrops, 10 Blood Apricots, 20 Potions of Spectral Form, 10 Potions of Elixir of Invisibility, 1 Foulbranch Seed, 10 Fey Step Potions, 10 Vials of Darkness, 20 Burning Bronze Rye, 5 Desert Rose, 10 Rust Bark = 7305 Yedion nonchalantly gets 10 Four-Sided Caltrops, 10 Blood Apricots, 10 Potions of Spectral Form, 1 Foulbranch Seed = 855 gold. And all 3 of them get Dragon Bee Honey.

Edited 1540831580
Kazane enters the guild hall dragging a large  sack of copper coins. "Haha, it sounds like you are the kind of man that could use some copper coins for change. Here have this sack, I want SEVENTY tempest whetstones(level 10) Oh and i guess I could use 6 coins for good luck and no, I don't want any of your suspicious looking free stuff (8580 gold).

Edited 1540855014
Ivan, having secretly observed most of the earlier transactions and examined the wares, considers the prices to be more than enough to not make an enemy of this child and his, likely adult and competent, supplier, approaches as a normal customer and purchases a few select items 10 Elixirs of Speed, 20 Blood Apricots and 10 Flash Flowers (4800gp) And he will take with him one of these fancy looking WD-4000s Laveen will examine the fine stock, appraise the more mundane items on sale, and leave with a basket full of fruit and magical coins, giving the kid his fair due and a cookie for being such a hard worker. 10 Blood Apricots and 10 Coins of Good Luck (600gp)

Edited 1541128036
Katarina teleport in with interest upon seeing the WD-4000, and will take one alongside buying 3 creeping gatevines(lvl 20), 6 creeping gatevines(lvl 10) and 3 potions of invulnerability(lvl 20) alongside 4 stones of shielding and a fruit of life and a dozen frozen whetstones(lvl 16). Kiran will quietly walk up to the merchant and in the most uninteresting possible way purchase five coins of good luck, two blood apricots, and four stones of shielding, taking his free Dragon Honey. Raskir approaches, and after some threatening words to the merchant in an attempt to simply take the goods, he reluctantly hands over the money for a pair of coins of good luck, a pair of frozen whetstones(lvl7), a potion of Cure Moderate Wounds and a Potion of Cure Light Wounds. He takes his complimentary  Taylor will approach the merchant's setup, glancing with some concern at the person running it but asking after the kind of drink Gale bought. She buys a dozen of the same(Burning Bronze Rye lvl 8), along with a dozen stones of shielding and half a dozen ghost ales, along with her dose of WD-4000. Gathering up everything in one large armful she hurries away in what she hopes is fast enough to avoid being spotted.  Diana will send a small imp like creature out to collect herself a dozen frozen whetstones(lvl 7) and half as many coins of good luck, alongside a dozen burning bronze rye, then leaves the money for them before vanishing with its items and also a Dragon Honey. Makara will buy half a dozen frost whetstones alongside a WD-4000.

Edited 1541366501
Makross wonders in, " Ah business must be good for you, friend.  I will partake upon some of your trinkets ;)" Makross takes 10 Blood Apricots and 10 Coins of Good Luck (600gp) .  He will also take the Dragon Bee Honey. With Lil'bit's meager funds he will pick up 5 Blood Apricots (150gp) and the WD_4000. Lil'bit will pick up an additional 10 Blood Apricots (300gp).  Makross will pick up 10 more Blood Apricots (300gp)
Luke will buy 6 Coins of Good Luck and pick up the WD-4000.

Edited 1540963228
Matt
Plus
Guild Master Matt descends from his tower and spots the suspicious stranger lurking about the Hall. He eyes the merchant's overeager "innocent" smile with skepticism, especially as he glances the variety of herbs, powders, and unguents being quickly tucked into the salesman's and others' deep pockets. He deftly snatches one of the jars from a tabletop before the merchant can recover it and takes one sniff of the Dragon Bee Honey, resulting in a frosty glare for the merchant, who responds with a nervous smile and a shrug. The Guild Master casts a look over the folk currently occupying the tavern, noting that there seems to be a larger-than-normal contingent of dragonborn "guests" of Guild members hanging about. He reseals the jar and returns it to the table slowly and methodically, never breaking eye contact with the sketchy child, until he glides away with as little warning as he had arrived. As he leaves, the gazes of slightly abashed Guild members follow him, and he can faintly be heard muttering "...suppose I can't stop them, but damn if this isn't going to come back to bite them. Literally." as he ascends the staircase to his arcane tower once more.

Edited 1541131038
Breeze wants to purchase the following: Immurement of the Abandoned Throne (21,000) x2 [[21000*2*.6]]  Mind Dust x 5 (1000 x 5) [[1000*5*.6]] Stimulant Injector x 5 (2600 x 5) [[2600*5*.6]] Talent Shard +3 x 4 (650 x4) [[650*4*.6]] Four-Sided Caltrop x20 (30 x 20) [[30*20*.6]] Cognizance Crystal lv14 x10 (800 x 10) [[800*10*.6]] Potion of Spectral Form x10 (50 x10) [[50*10*.6]] Breeze will take the Honey [[21000*.6]] + [[1000*5*.6]] + [[2600*5*.6]] + [[650*4*.6]] + [[30*20*.6]] + [[800*10*.6]] + [[50*10*.6]] =  43020gp
Yeslynn walks in and buys some brand new ammunition. Only the finest! She also grabs some WD-400 noting that, "This looks like it could be useful." Buying: 03x    Freezing Arrow (lvl 13, +3) -1170gp (60% cost, 390gp each) 01x    Space-Shifting Bolt (lvl 13, +3) -390gp (60% cost, 390gp each) 01x    Surprise Bullet (lvl 13, +3) -390gp (60% cost, 390gp each) 01x    Stonehold Ammunition (lvl 14, +3) -480gp (60% cost, 480gp each) 01x    Shiver-Strike Ammunition (lvl 15, +3) -600gp (60% cost, 600gp each)
Spider will purchase the following in a brief and discrete manner: Potion of Eladrin shape x2 (50) Potion of Cure Light Wounds x5 (100) Nail of Sealing x2 (80) Augmenting Whetstone x2 (150) Coin of Good Luck x2 (100) Total = 480 x 0.6 = 288 And take the WD 4000!

Edited 1541226529
Charity buys this stuff. Vial of Darkness x3 Portion of Spectral Form x3 Potion of Clarity (level 5) x5 Potion of Clarity (level 10) x3 Desert Rose (level 7) x10 Egg of Death Rust Bark (level 11) x3 Flash Flower (level 11) x20 Nightmare Thread Potion of Vitality x10 Creeping Gatevine (level 10) x10

Edited 1541262029
Kinner with a glint of mischief (or madness) in his eyes buys: Potion of Life x1, Poition of Recovery x2, Fruit of Life x2, Ray of Feywild Sunshine x4, Elixir of Phasing x2, Hag's Doorknob x4, Quaal's Feather Anchor x5, Egg of Death x7, Unguent of Darkvision x3, Fugacious Stone x3 and grabs a Jar of Local Dragon Be Honey. (Total: 150150 gp) Falras seeing how busy the merchant is decides "I guess why not." and buys: Elixir of Speed x10, Fugacious Stone x1, Potion of invulnerability (lvl 20)x2, Potion of Cure Critical Wounds x2, Elixir of Invisibility (lvl16)x5, Unreadable Ink x3, Vial of Darkness x3, Frozen Whetstone (lvl7)x20 and grabs WD-4000 for unspecified purposes. (Total: 21000gp) Gilda excited about new and exotic potions she can try buys: Ray of Feywild Sunshine x5, Unguent of Darkvision x2, Elixir of Flying (lvl11)x2, Fugacious Stone x2, Potion of Feyspeak x5 and asks for a Jar of Local Dragon Bee Honey giggling. (Total: 8970gp) Specter looks for a long time and finding only a few items of value (that he can afford) buys: Unguent of Darkvision x2, Potion of Cure Moderate Wounds x4 and grabs a WD-4000. (Total: 900gp) Hans feeling a little vulnerable so he buys: Potion of Invulnerability (lvl10)x1, Blood Apricot x5 and takes Jar of Local Dragon Bee Honey. (Total: 270gp)
Elneiros is buying 9 Frozen Whetstone (level 6) and 100 Four-sided Caltrop for a total of 2100 gold Charmed is buying 40 potions of spectral form and 3 syllables of grace
gretha walks up to the merchant "have we met somewhere before? oh probably not." Gretha buys 20 syllables of grace 5 coins of good luck and 5 blood apricots for a total of 300gp
Ivan is already addicted to these elixirs and potions and continues to feed his gambling habit: Buying: 20 Elixirs of Speed, 5 Flash Flowers, 5 Potions of Lesser Haste and 27 Coins of Good Luck for a appropriate total of 6660 gold
Upon seeing that the boy does not have Cerberus Snacks,Cenny buys 20 blood apricots, 10 coins of good luck, and 10 frozen Whetstones for a total of 1500 gold. While clearly disappointed by the lack of hell hound treats, she happily takes the Jar of Local Dragon Bee Honey . Malus buys 10 coins of good luck for 300 gold, hoping that luck will smile upon him when using the Jar of Local Dragon Bee Honey.
The characters swarms the boy when they realize the sale is soon going to end, After a lot of huumming and hawwing they leaves with the following products. And one Jar of Local Dragon Bee Honey each as Molniya would not shut up until they all took one each. Molniya 10 x Blood Apricot 300 10 x Coin of Good Luck 300 25 x Sylable of Grace 300 10 x Frozen Whetstone 600  5 x Syllable of Strength 600 Total          2100 Horrorjaw 10 x Blood Apricot 300 10 x Coin of Good Luck 300 25 x Sylable of Grace 300 10 x Elixir of Speed 2100 Total          3000 Thad 10 x Blood Apricot 300 10 x Coin of Good Luck 300 2  x Potion of Spirit(lvl l5) 1200 10 x Potion of Spectral Form 300 Total          2100 Deadbolt 10 x Blood Apricot 300 10 x Coin of Good Luck 300 10 x Rust Bark(lvl 11) 2100 5  x Rust Bark(lvl 21) 27000 Total          29700
Kaal, always with an eye for oddities, finds a delicate candle with a sense of intense nothingness to it. Alongside it he purchases several more common commodities which he may find useful in his travels, including fruits of healing and hurting, coins, whispering rocks and potions blanked out by darkness or filled with misty images of the past, present, and future. Kaal purchases 1x Candle of Tomorrow (600 GP), 1x Foulbranch Seed (75 GP), 10x Madstones (750 GP), 20x Blood Apricots (600 GP), 5x Coins of Good Luck (150 GP), 20x Potions of Spectral Form (600 GP), 5x Vials of Darkness (150 GP), 15x Elixirs of Clairvoyance (lvl 5) (450 GP), 5x Lesser Elixirs of Invisibility (200 GP). Total: 3,575 GP. He will also take some of that WD-4000. Newcomers to the guild, Cloud and Nahazar will browse the available wares and pick up some items of their own. Cloud picks up 10x Blood Apricots and 10x Coins of Good Luck (total 600 GP). Nahazar likewise picks up 5x blood apricots and coins of good luck (total 300 GP). Both will end up taking the jar of local dragon bee honey.

Edited 1541371624
Zaphon will buy 60x Paragon Cognizance Crystals for 28800 gp, 3x Foulbranch Seeds for 225 gp, 30x Coins of Good Luck for 900 gp, and take the Local Dragon Bee Honey. Rainier will buy 15x Madstones for 1125, 3x Foulbranch Seeds for 225 gp, 30x Coins of Good Luck for 900 gp, and take the Local Dragon Bee Honey Luke will buy 15x Caustic Whetstones for 1800 gp, 30x Horse's Breath for 1350, and 30x Coins of Good Luck for 900 gp. Inanna will buy 6x Blood Apricots for 180 gp and 15x Coins of Good Luck for 450 gp, and take the Local Dragon Bee Honey. John will buy 6x Coin of Good Luck for 180 gp, and take the Local Dragon Bee Honey.
Sparks buys 6 Blood Apricots, 6 Coins of Good Luck, and 5 Stormglass Shards for a total of 585 gp and takes Local Dragon Bee Honey Yarast buys 6 Blood Apricots, 12 Coins of Good Luck, and 12 Cognizance Crystals (level 4) for a total of 828 gp and takes Local Dragon Bee Honey so he can better talk to himself.