Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Options for People with Poor Eyesight

Hello, Thanks for taking the time to read my post. At current roll20 doesn't have much options for adjusting the text size / colour for the chat, which can at times make things tricky to read for me as I have fairly blurry eyesight at the best of times. I think the most major offender is the colouring used for the front and background of text produced by the '/me' command. It's basically orange on orange, which makes it very hard to read. While this is something of a nuisance, it doesn't make roll20 impossible to use, however I can only imagine how bad things are for people with colourblindness. Wikipedia has a pretty good chart on the topic (posted below), which should give some idea how it could be tricky for people to discern orange on orange text. Particularly if it's a colour they have trouble seeing in the first place. I wish roll20 would provide more system options for people who've got visual difficulties, being able to set colour options for font and background of certain things, either in game or via the GM's campaign settings panel would be a good start towards making roll20 more inclusive. While roll20 is not neccisarily a video game, I think there's notes to be taken from Mark Brown's video essay on designing for disability to be found on youtube here; <a href="https://youtu.be/xrqdU4cZaLw" rel="nofollow">https://youtu.be/xrqdU4cZaLw</a> I hope this is of some use to the roll20 team.
Hi Dio! Accessibility is something that our dev team care very much about. We are working diligently to provide upgrades and enhancements to or various features and tool-sets for our user base. Our UI/UX dev has accessibility expertise and is working to improve these very kinds of issues and aiming to meet&nbsp; WCAG 2 AA standards &nbsp;with all new features. Unfortunately, some older features and general site styling predates this effort for accessibility, this results in any significant improvements initiating a site-wide restyling which we are not ready for at this time. We are working on them and very much appreciate the feedback and enthusiasm for accessibility features. Please continue to be patient with us as we work to improve the experience for all our users. Regarding your suggestion-- it has very good merit, however it could also allow a GM to set colors that could be even more difficult to parse. Making user settings to adjust these things could be a solution that we research but it would likely be more advantageous for everyone if we were to implement a set of high-contrast color combinations. A "low visibility correction" setting that changes the entire site's theme could also be some future method. There are browser extensions and built-in features that allow for zooming, font enlarging, and contrast adjustments. We understand they may not be a perfect solution, but they could be a stop-gap for users who need these before we have a chance to implement these quality of life enhancements.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Stylus can also help in situations like this. If you are not familiar with it, it is a browser plug in that re-interprets CSS styling "on-the fly", allowing you to change the look and feel of many elements of the browser window, including the chat tab, character sheets and handouts.
Caden
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
Greetings Dio G., Based on your suggestion here, I got the go ahead to update the /me color. It has a higher contrast and meet WCAG AAA standards. I know its a drop in the bucket to completing this overall suggestion but hopefully it will make your experience a little easier. - Cassie
Thank you Cassie! The new /me colour is must more easily read, I appreciate it!
Ah. I was wondering why the emote text looked different. Personally I much preferred the orange before, but if this is helping players read it easier - it's definitely the right thing to do...
One of my GMs is reporting that it's actually harder for them to read. Would it be possible to make things like the /me colour an individual setting so he and others like him can return to the original orange? Personally, both are readable to me, but the brown just... looks bad. I preferred the orange on a personal level.
Hi David, Thank you for your feedback on this! One of the main intentions with this quick change was to provide greater contrast in the emote colorization. Further improvements can certainly be made and is something we will continue to take a look at as we improve accessibility-- However in this most recent case of orange on orange was a cause for difficulty. Given the picture provided above it shows some places where brown blends with orange so I will certainly pass this along for further consideration :)
Thanks for the suggestion! After 30 days, Suggestions and Ideas with fewer than 10 votes are closed and the votes are refunded to promote freshness. Your suggestion didn't build the right momentum this time, but feel free to submit it again! We find that the best suggestions describe the problem you are having, and the solution you want. You can learn more about the process of making suggestions on the Roll20 Wiki! More details can be found here .