Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Playing from mobile browser on not-so-big android phone

Hello everybody, i have the doubt written above, i am considering upgrading to paid so that some players on my campaign can join when they're away from home since this issue has delayed our campaing for weeks, anyhow i don't know if they would be able to join from their phones, i remamber reading o the roll20 app that it required a kinda big screen on mobile devices and certain android version to run. Does this applies to mobile browser as well? or will they be able to join the game from a, say regular samsung galaxy, or moto G, or haweii P phone device? If so i would gladly upgrade my account.
Andreas J.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Translator
I've accessed Roll20 game through on an Android phone, through the broswer. It's better than no access but iirc it was a bit akward, but with some zooming in and out you could do the same thing as on a browser, as a player. It's of course slower to handle, but that can be partially migrated by letting another player or the DM make the players rolls at times, while the player on the phone could focus on looking at the chat window & the map. No upgrade is nessesery to just open roll20 in a browser, mut I can imagine the app is more optimal for a touch-based device. Just tell your players to try it out. I mean if you think about it, Roll20 runs in the browser. Phones are powerful these days, and can show the same view of a webpage as a comuter, in most cases. (They might need to enable Manual Zoom and check that their browser view roll20.net as desktop") But with differences between phone they'll just have to try it out.
Gold
Forum Champion
AleFaSo, it might work on some phones, but phones are not supported by Roll20, only tablets for mobile are supported. Wiki docs about this, <a href="https://wiki.roll20.net/Mobile_Tablet_Support" rel="nofollow">https://wiki.roll20.net/Mobile_Tablet_Support</a>
Stephanie B.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Additionally, although the app doesn't display the map portion of the game (and it's not as useful for GMs), you can install it on many Android phones now.
Thankyou all for your responses! Stphanie B. and Gold. I know the requirements of the APP, i'm not asking about the APP but the phone browser instead. Andreas J. guess i'll have to force open the ste as "desktop" and not mobile, since opening it in mobile does seem to require the DM to have an upgraded account in order for anyone to join to it's game via android phone. Will try out!
Stephanie B.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Ah, sorry, AleFaSo. I misunderstood. Logging in on my Note8, which has a decent-sized screen, I can view the map and desktop. It's much better in landscape mode than portrait, and if I were using it to play, I would definitely use the collapse button to hide the chat/rolls window. The character sheet in 5e didn't resize very well; again, if I were trying to play on it, I would pop out the character sheet into a separate tab.