Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Multiple floor levels on one map background

Score + 42
Mark S.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
So I was talking to a group and they agreed that it was worth putting this idea out there. So here it is... We were thinking it would be great to be able to have different levels (ground, second floor, third floor) of view on one map. This way, your rogue on the rooftop could still see all of the tokens moving about on the ground, but not the tokens in the building they are standing on. We even had somewhat of an idea as to how it could work based on the current layers.  Currently, the token layer shows what is on that layer over top of the map background layer.  Adding tiers to the current layers could look like this... Map & Background I (ground level) Map & Background II (second floor) Map & Background III (third floor) etc... Each would have its own respective token layer as well. (i.e. Objects & Tokens I, Objects & Tokens II, Objects & Tokens III, etc...) Here is how it works: A token with sight on layer 2 would see all of the map II features layed over top of map I. So now, your rogue sees the rooftop (tier 2) they are standing on while still getting a view of the PCs on tier I. However, everyone inside of the building would be hidden by the overlaying rooftop.  So basically all of the tiers cover the ones beneath it to create the effect of being on a higher level.  What about seeing tokens above? Obviously you would not want every token to be visible and you certainly would want to be able to tell that the token is on a higher level. So you add a dropdown that says Token can be seen DEFAULT: Same tier, -1 Tier, Tier -2, etc... All tiers You set that token to "Can be seen -2 Tier" and everyone can see it even when it is 2 floors up. Add some kind of opacity and/or special token marker indicating what tier it is on would let players know that it is above them.  Anyways, this was just something us cartographers thought would add an interesting level to our gaming. We thought it was worth introducing to see if there was an interest in it.  Happy gaming!
This could easily be integrated as another way of solving the 1-sided dynamic lighting idea. It would open up a few more cool ideas and possibilities too. Definitely worth a vote. +1

Edited 1543921921
Mark S.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Evan 1.0 (Xreaper) said: This could easily be integrated as another way of solving the 1-sided dynamic lighting idea. It would open up a few more cool ideas and possibilities too. Definitely worth a vote. +1 I could see that working. Each tier would have its own dynamic lighting layer as well. A PC on tier 2 would not see all of the dynamic lighting on tier 1. So you could create scenarios that had one-sided dynamic lighting easily.  I also came up with something else cool that you could do. While you already can put invisible monsters on the GM layer, how about putting invisible PCs on a higher tier so they can see everyone, but no one can see them. It would definitely make for some interesting immersion. How many times has an invisible PC been the target of a friendly spell by an ally that could not see them? Actually being invisible would put a stop to oversights like that and be a lot of fun.   I could see there being a lot of other creative ways of using tiered layers. I am sure other people would come up with nifty tricks to share.
I really like this idea, it would really help with more vertically inclined maps. If it was possible to also have the ability to designate a square that, when entered, automatically moves a player token up (or down) a layer, would also be a godsend. But one thing at a time.
Bumping this up with a reply because by god we need this. Any map with even a singular building is nightmarish to run, modern settings or rooftop chases are essentially out of the battlemap-shaped picture with how tall modern buildings go.
I would agree with this. I have built several multi level maps in the past and have had to split screen the map several times. Having multipal layers on the same area would really help us out a lot.
+1
+1
+1
+1
+1
+1
If this is still an open question I would like to add my support to it. I only found out about it recently, but it's basically the one suggestion I've been hoping for for years.
+1
+1
+1
+1
+1
+1
David M.
Pro
API Scripter
Interesting that this has been labeled as "queued" / "In Development"!
+1
+1 yes please
+1

Edited 1673920120
+1 I would add that other software (e.g. Foundry or whatever it's called) already has this capability... meaning roll20 needs to keep up with the leading edge, as they are attempting to do with doors, windows, etc.