Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Roll20 -Personal opinion and experience

My group started using roll20 about a year ago and have enjoyed many of its features. The web browser format has deffinately made our D&D possible after we all moved away from each other. I have looked at other options and fantasy ground seems to be the next best. However they have an outdated UI and it's a software that without jumping through hoops it doesn't work for my group in connectivity. Thus again the web browser feature of roll20 is superb. We have a shared pro account with books on roll20 so we can take turns dming easily enough. However there are stacking issues that are making me question my loyalty to the platform of roll20. And I am expressing my personal opinions in hopes that it may help make Roll20 aware and can keep my business. Current issues I have is not having access to quite a bit of content. For D&D 5e not having the DMG, Xanathars and to a lesser extent sword coast, and no current starfinder support besides the character sheet but I understand its all in back log. Nor any of the books for wrath and glory.l whichbi have no idea if there is an agreement on that one.  Roll20 can be easily making more money right now if the character mancer was on the back burner and the actual content people want to buy was available. This is like a store not getting products to sell until they have updated shelving. I can do the extra work of making sure characters are leveled properly. But I don't have the time to input hundreds of monsters and items as well as modules.  I use these systems, books, and modules because I don't have the time I did in my youth to homebew everything. That's why I am in support of roll20 even charging full price for books. They have to give the companies their due and roll20 has to pay forn the work done to make it available. I understand other platforms discount their books but I don't hold that to roll20. What I do hold to roll20 is the need to get ahead of the "backlog" of products people want to buy. You guys will make far more money that way and can afford to have the software as a whole worked on as a secondary. I want to also mention any e mails I have sent and any content I have had has been positive and professional. However the problem persists. Its again a personal opinion, which is you guys need to reallocate your focus and make the products we want available.
Hi Billy, We understand the desire for the backlog products as well as additional support for other systems and it is something we are constantly working towards. One of our big focuses is making sure that the content we provide is usable in functionally consistent and convenient-- for example, a book that focuses on content available past level 1 is something to be accounted for. We are somewhat limited by licencing agreements, so we cannot provide exacting dates, but please know that we hear you and are working to improve our offerings across the board, both in quantity and quality.
i have to agree with OP and i can understand the whole are hands are tied and hush hush of it all. But from a user standpoint the basic system set should always have a DMG , players first and foremost. with the new stuff recently added character mancer i can understand why you might delay some items... personally i would be ok with two price sets if allowed ... basic searchable content with limited drag ability akin to the players Full price if i have to then later paying a small upgrade fee for an enhanced mode.  Now may i ask and you may be a vague as you wish with the backlogged items can you at least say in which year they will be on the front burner rather than backlogged 
Thanks for the suggestion! After 30 days, Suggestions and Ideas with fewer than 10 votes are closed and the votes are refunded to promote freshness. Your suggestion didn't build the right momentum this time, but feel free to submit it again! We find that the best suggestions describe the problem you are having, and the solution you want. You can learn more about the process of making suggestions on the Roll20 Wiki! More details can be found here .