Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Adding Critical Events to a Dice Roll, and Templates

On a dice roll we can signal tracking a critical success (cs) and a critical failure (cf).  Then we can trap these events in a template, and update the output. I was wondering if we could add a critical event signal that would fall into the template like the cs & cf.  Some game systems have special events triggered to certain totals on the die.  For example, RoleMaster does special things when you roll an unmodified 66, 33, and 77.  Basically the critical events would do throw certain flags if any of these numbers came up in the raw die roll, which could then be captured by the default template.
You can add some effect to your template linked to your critical event. For exemple in my game when the atk roll is critical, you need to roll a critical check (1d20). Depending on the result your critical is more or less powerfull (more damage, cut hand, cut leg, pierce eye, pierce heart...). So i've made a dice roll "critical check" linked to a template like this : <button type="roll" name="roll_confirmation_crit" value="&{template:crit} {{name=Critical}} {{results=[[1d20]]}}">Critical check</button> <rolltemplate class="sheet-rolltemplate-crit">     <table class="sheet-rolltemplate-default">         <caption>{{name}}</caption>         <tbody>             <tr>                 <td>Critical check</td>                 <td>{{results}}</td>             </tr>             <tr>                 <td>Effect</td>                 {{#rollBetween() results 1 2}}                     <td>Damage +1</td>                 {{/rollBetween() results 1 2}}                 {{#rollBetween() results 3 4}}                     <td>Damage +2</td>                 {{/rollBetween() results 3 4}}                 {{#rollBetween() results 5 6}}                     <td>Damage +3</td>                 {{/rollBetween() results 5 6}}                  (...)                 {{#rollTotal() results 19}}                     <td>Pierce heart : Decease</td>                 {{/rollTotal() results 19}}                 {{#rollTotal() results 20}}                     <td>Cut head : Decease</td>                 {{/rollTotal() results 20}}            </tr>         </tbody>     </table> </rolltemplate>
Thank you.  That's great.  However, to be clear, I was not wanting to edit a template as that means adding a character sheet (unless I am missing something).  Not all games have a character sheet where a GM can add the new template.  I was hoping for the functionality to be added to dice rolls and the default template out of the box.  In that way a GM would be able to make these kinds of rolls without Template editing.
Thanks for the suggestion! After 30 days, Suggestions and Ideas with fewer than 10 votes are closed and the votes are refunded to promote freshness. Your suggestion didn't build the right momentum this time, but feel free to submit it again! We find that the best suggestions describe the problem you are having, and the solution you want. You can learn more about the process of making suggestions on the Roll20 Wiki! More details can be found here .