Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Need Help A Success/Fail Macro

I'm prepping to run a game of Dusk City Outlaws, which uses a percentile dice system that doesn't have degrees of success: You roll under your skill rating and succeed, or you go over and you fail. It has Advantage and Disadvantage dice that can be added to the roll, but that's not my primary concern at the moment. What I would love is a way to have the percentile comparison (1d100<?[Skill]) output "Success" or "Failure" text. Or at least something less confusing than "1" or "0." Is that even possible with the macros? Someone made the following macro for the roll, but it returns a "1" or "0" result, and the roll result text interacts in a weird way with the Advantage/Disadvantage results. It's just messy and I'm worried it's going to confuse my very new players. /r [[1d100<?{Skill}]] + ?{How Many Advantage Dice?|0}t[Advantage-Dice] + ?{How Many Challenge Dice?|0}t[Challenge-Dice]
GiGs
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Unfortunately no. the dice system will only report 1 or 0, you cant get it to return a text value. Regarding your macro, I dont know advantage disadvantage dice work in your system, but you could separate put advantage/disadvantage results on a different line or use a rolltemplate to make things clearer. Something this: &{template:default} {{name=@{selected|character_name} rolls whatever}} {{Success?=[[1d100<?{Skill}]]}} {{Special Dice=?{How Many Advantage Dice?|0}t[Advantage-Dice] + ?{How Many Challenge Dice?|0}t[Challenge-Dice]}} I put a line break in there for readability: the above should all be on one line. This section:  {{name=@{selected|character_name} rolls whatever}} Can be removed. Or you can put whatever you want after the name=, it will appear as a title for the roll.

Edited 1544310878
Thanks so much for the help, seriously! That does at least look way more clear, miles better. The only problem I'm having is that the special dice line doesn't seem to be actually rolling on the special tables I made under those names anymore.
(Sorry for the double post, but the forum froze up when I tried to add it to my post)

Edited 1544313776
Ah, I think I see the issue: The templates require Inline rolls which I think interact oddly with rolling multiple dice on these tables. Specifically: I got it to start showing the results, but only gave one result no matter how many dice I had it roll for the tables. So where I'd expect a number of Xs or Boons for 11 advantage dice, I just get "X" or "Boon." I used this version to get there.... &{template:default} {{name=@{selected|character_name} Rolls}} {{Success?=[[1d100<?{Skill}]]}} {{Outcome=?{How Many Advantage Dice?|0}[[t[Advantage-Dice]]] + ?{How Many Challenge Dice?|0}[[t[Challenge-Dice]]]}}
GiGs
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Oh yes, i forgot about it needing inline rolls. I seem to recall there's a problem with table calls being limited to one result in some situations - it's probably the inline roll. I dont know away around that, unfortunately, except maybe leaving them out of the roll template, which wont look as good. Something like &{template:default} {{name=@{selected|character_name} Rolls }} {{Success?=[[1d100<?{Skill}]]}} Outcome: ?{How Many Advantage Dice?|0}t[Advantage-Dice] + ?{How Many Challenge Dice?|0}t[Challenge-Dice] In this case, that second line is  on a new line.
Just for completeness' sake, the following macro got me so close  to what I'm after because it's neat and you can mouse-over for the real results... I may end up using it anyway, as I'm not a fan of the way results are displayed otherwise. &{template:default} {{name=@{selected|character_name} Rolls}} {{Success?=[[1d100<?{Skill}]]}} {{Outcome=[[?{How Many Advantage Dice?|0}t[Advantage-Dice]]] + [[?{How Many Challenge Dice?|0}t[Challenge-Dice]]]}}
That might work, too! I never would have gotten this far without your help. Thanks for the assistance, it's made my evening less of an annoyance. :) GiGs said: Oh yes, i forgot about it needing inline rolls. I seem to recall there's a problem with table calls being limited to one result in some situations - it's probably the inline roll. I dont know away around that, unfortunately, except maybe leaving them out of the roll template, which wont look as good. Something like &{template:default} {{name=@{selected|character_name} Rolls }} {{Success?=[[1d100<?{Skill}]]}} Outcome: ?{How Many Advantage Dice?|0}t[Advantage-Dice] + ?{How Many Challenge Dice?|0}t[Challenge-Dice] In this case, that second line is  on a new line.
GiGs
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Oh wait, there is a way around it, but its laborious to write. You could write it using a query menu like so: ?{How Many Advantage Dice|None,0|One,1t[Advantage-Dice]|Two,1t[Advantage-Dice] + 1t[Advantage-Dice]| Three,1t[Advantage-Dice] + 1t[Advantage-Dice] + 1t[Advantage-Dice]} + (same approach for challenge dice) This works best if there is a maximum number of advantage dice and challenge dice, you can build the query  up to the level needed. Embedding that in the roll template: &{template:default} {{name=@{selected|character_name} Rolls }} {{Success?=[[1d100<?{Skill}]]}} {{Outcome=?{How Many Advantage Dice|None,0|One,1t[Advantage-Dice]|Two,1t[Advantage-Dice] + 1t[Advantage-Dice]| Three,1t[Advantage-Dice] + 1t[Advantage-Dice] + 1t[Advantage-Dice]} + (same approach for challenge dice)}} Again, remove the line-breaks from the above.
That works!
GiGs
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Great! And i missed this earlier: Mike M. said: I never would have gotten this far without your help. Thanks for the assistance, it's made my evening less of an annoyance. :) You're welcome :) Happy to help!
Andrew C
Marketplace Creator
GiGs said: Oh wait, there is a way around it, but its laborious to write. You could write it using a query menu like so: ?{How Many Advantage Dice|None,0|One,1t[Advantage-Dice]|Two,1t[Advantage-Dice] + 1t[Advantage-Dice]| Three,1t[Advantage-Dice] + 1t[Advantage-Dice] + 1t[Advantage-Dice]} + (same approach for challenge dice) This works best if there is a maximum number of advantage dice and challenge dice, you can build the query  up to the level needed. Embedding that in the roll template: &{template:default} {{name=@{selected|character_name} Rolls }} {{Success?=[[1d100<?{Skill}]]}} {{Outcome=?{How Many Advantage Dice|None,0|One,1t[Advantage-Dice]|Two,1t[Advantage-Dice] + 1t[Advantage-Dice]| Three,1t[Advantage-Dice] + 1t[Advantage-Dice] + 1t[Advantage-Dice]} + (same approach for challenge dice)}} Again, remove the line-breaks from the above. As a trick from someone who has done a bunch of stuff with Roll Templates, if you want to make it 'look cleaner' for you to edit, put your line-break before the }}. &{template:default} {{name=Jim Bob }} {{Success? = [[1d100<?{Skill}]] }} {{... ... }}