Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Data entered seems to disappear

I know how to work around this now when it occurs, but the first time it happened my eyes popped out of my head and rolled across the floor. If I am using chrome and reset my computer and open old tabs to re-enter the game room. Everything I've entered is gone. Oh horrors! Nightmare! I've found, gratefully, that it's all still there. I have to exit the game, Then use "Launch game" to get back in. It's there, all is right in the world. This happens to me often enough because I live in China and cannot access the game room without use of a VPN and VPNs tend to get fickle and glitchy and not connect if I'm on for a long while. After 5-6 times or so, there's no panic anymore, I know how to get around that, but still it seems to me that I should either be able get in there directly and have no issues or else be blocked from entry and forced to click the launch game button to get in. The way it is now is change-your-underpants time for rookie GMs.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Have you tried bookmarking the actual "Launch Game" button? I have about 2 dozen games for testing various features that I use this method with, and have never run into that problem. Admittedly, I have never used a VPN for Roll20, but other issues can arise because of that.
I don't know how to bookmark a button but bookmarking the page with the button on it is the same thing, gets the results I need. The work around is easy. I'm shocked that you can't reproduce the problem as it occurs 100% of the time when I reset the computer with a page open to the game page then reopen/use the tabs from before the reset. I'd not considered that it might be a VPN-related issue but it must be then. But yeah, having the gameroom tab open, resetting the computer then coming back, (resettting up the VPN along the way) and re-opening tabs that had been open from before the reset and entering the gameroom that way always triggers the *poof - all my work is gone* glitch. Always. I've learned not to do that. And when I accidentally do every now and again it's like "Stupid me, I knew that would happen." I don't have a mental meltdown like I did the first time, I just leave and re-enter properly.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
All that button is is a regular link. You can right click it to copy the link, or drag it into your favorites bar. You might need to rename it afterward. As for re-opening a tab, I wouldn't know. I don't usually browse that way. I try to keep methodical bookmarks. As far as I know, once you are in a game, the URL is always the same:&nbsp; <a href="https://app.roll20.net/editor/" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/editor/</a> That's why if you open two games in the same browser, and refresh the first one, it will refresh to the last-opened game, not the one it was in. Go with bookmarks for the launch URL, not tabs or bookmarks taken from an open game window.
This strange problem happened to me today, but in a different way. I was editing one of my games which have many pages (about 13 at the moment). When i was going back to see one of the older ones I made, I found half of the tokens gone in a few of them. Horror! Then, after reading this post, i tried to exit the game, and re-started it by pressing the button at the main page. Voila, everything is back, thanks God! I am in Hong Kong, no VPNs, and normal fast connection, so I am wondering why this happens... it's the first time it happened to me in a few years at roll20.