Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Handout edit discarded

This "bug" is more of a "unexpected/bad behavior" problem. If you are editing a handout, then click on the same handout from the journal, it opens a new window (in the VTT) for the same handout, and if you click edit on that new window, it will discard your previously open/editing window with all your changes. I think it happens due to a conflict of windows (you can't have two windows for the same handout open, but doesn't consider an 'edit' vs 'non-edit' window as same), so when it creates a new "edit handout X" window, it will close the previous "edit handout X" window. To reproduce :  0 - Tested on Chrome Version 70.0.3538.110, Windows 10, In an Incognito tab, no extensions, tested on the Tutorial game, same thing happens there too. 1 - In any game, create a new handout 2 - Open the handout, and edit its content but without saving it 3 - click on the handout again from the journal, you should see one "Edit" and one "View" window of the same handout. 4 - click Edit on the handout's window 5 - notice the previous edit window disappears along with all your not-yet-saved changes. This is a very problematic bug for me because I will often have a handout with notes/plans for the next D&D session open and I'd be writing/planning for hours, while at the same time reading other handouts (campaign material), then when I can't find my "Plan" or "Notes" handout, thinking I already saved/closed it, but it's hidden beneath everything else, so when I click on the handout again in the journal, and click Edit, I realize too late that all my hour of work was lost/discarded. I either have to constantly save/edit (which I never remember to do and it's annoying), or when I open the handout, I'd need to check if it contains my latest changes (which I don't think to do and even if I did, I wouldn't always remember what notes I was making last) before clicking the Edit button. Solution would be simple: Opening a handout from the journal, if the handout is already open in Edit mode, then focus that window instead of popping a new one. Thank you!
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Thanks Youness A. I have verified this behavior and will pass the message to the devs.