Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Battlestar Galactica classic series continuation campaign

There are those who believe that life here began out there, far across the universe, with tribes of humans who may have been the forefathers of the Egyptians, or the Toltecs, or the Mayans. That they may have been the architects of the Great Pyramids, or the lost civilizations of Lemuria, or Atlantis. Some believe that there may yet be brothers of man, who even now fight to survive somewhere beyond the heavens... This campaign will be a continuation of the classic series Battlestar Galactica using the BSG RPG system by Margaret Weis Productions.  I will provide materials to each player to aid with playing the game and no experience with the system is necessary. I will teach it to each of you. It is very simple to learn yet is great fun and emulates the genre brilliantly. Come join the crew of the last Battlestar as they continue their lonely quest to find the lost 13th. tribe of mankind and to finally locate a fabled planet known as Earth. Players able to commit to a longterm campaign only, please.
Bump. Day, time, and time zone would be nice to hear. I'm quite curious. I've been wanting to come across an SG-1 game mainly, but BSG would equally be interesting!
daddystabz, is that you Jonathan Baldridge? Doesn't matter if it is or not. Yes I am interested in this. It comes down to day, time, frequency, and to a less degree system. As it stands now, the days I do not have available are Tuesdays and Wednesdays.

Edited 1544678901
I grew up with the original as well! Voice.  I am in the U.S. Eastern time zone.  We can choose a day/time of the week based on everyone's availability to try to fit it as well as we can.
rpgman said: daddystabz, is that you Jonathan Baldridge? Doesn't matter if it is or not. Yes I am interested in this. It comes down to day, time, frequency, and to a less degree system. As it stands now, the days I do not have available are Tuesdays and Wednesdays. It is indeed.
Definitely interested depending on day and time slot.  I'm can be available most US mornings or afternoons.  Nights are harder, only Friday/Saturday/Sunday are really open at the moment 
Specs? Text only? Session duration and freq?
He said voice in his first reply here.  Day and time TBD based on everyone's availability.
I've been looking for a classic BSG game for a while and would be very interested in playing in your campaign! My preference would be Tuesday to Thursday, but I could probably make Friday night work if I had to as long as it isn't too late.
I am interested as well depending on time/day, Cant do weekend's,  Wednesday or Friday preferred but depending on time any weeknight could work
Duration would be 3 hrs to maybe 5 hrs or so, depending on player schedules.  Frequency would either be weekly or maybe bi-weekly.
So if we are using the Weis system, are we playing in BSG Reimagined? Or Classic?
The intro quote is from Classic, so I assume we're playing in that? Does anyone know how similar the Weis BSG system is to their Firefly / Serenity system, btw?

Edited 1544991364
The reason I asked about whether it was Classic or Reimagined is because the material provided in the BSG Serenity Rules does not have much material to draw from. Seems a lot of porting and creating stats would be required. I am wondering if a system like Savage Worlds, OpenD6 (Star Wars), Mini-D6, or FATE Accelerated or FATE Core would be better suited systems. Also, do we want to introduce new characters or with established one: Apollo, Starbuck, Greenbean, Jolly, Sheba, etc?
Alot of the time the game's are in a slightly different time/universe and have nothing to do with the show's, Really depends on how the gm want's to run it
Well, at the moment I can only go by the Firefly / Serenity rules, but the traits there seem sufficiently abstract that it should be possible to apply them regardless if it's classic or new BSG. My preference would be for going with our own characters and having the established characters as NPCs rather than playing them outright.
Interested, pending compatibility, time, and prefer not to be the chimp in the robot dog suit :) 
As it stands for me, the days I have available are Mondays, Thursdays, Fridays and probably Sundays. I prefer not to do anything on Saturdays except for family stuff, same with Sunday mornings and afternoons. I prefer not to play on Fridays, because it always seems like something is coming up. Also, my daughter is involved in band activities in school, so sometimes there are M-F events, but these are seldom.
rpgman said: So if we are using the Weis system, are we playing in BSG Reimagined? Or Classic? Definitely classic.  I am not a fan of the reimagined series.  However, the game system for the BSG rpg works very well and serves classic very well.  There are even fanmade stats for all the classic series vehicles, characters, items, etc.
Harald S. said: The intro quote is from Classic, so I assume we're playing in that? Does anyone know how similar the Weis BSG system is to their Firefly / Serenity system, btw? We are playing in classic for sure.  The system is similar but slightly improved from the original Serenity RPG.  
rpgman said: The reason I asked about whether it was Classic or Reimagined is because the material provided in the BSG Serenity Rules does not have much material to draw from. Seems a lot of porting and creating stats would be required. I am wondering if a system like Savage Worlds, OpenD6 (Star Wars), Mini-D6, or FATE Accelerated or FATE Core would be better suited systems. Also, do we want to introduce new characters or with established one: Apollo, Starbuck, Greenbean, Jolly, Sheba, etc? Check this:&nbsp; <a href="https://kupdf.net/download/colonial-warbook_59d64cdf08bbc5965fd1214a_pdf" rel="nofollow">https://kupdf.net/download/colonial-warbook_59d64cdf08bbc5965fd1214a_pdf</a>
Harald S. said: Well, at the moment I can only go by the Firefly / Serenity rules, but the traits there seem sufficiently abstract that it should be possible to apply them regardless if it's classic or new BSG. My preference would be for going with our own characters and having the established characters as NPCs rather than playing them outright. This version of Cortex is much improved over Serenity.
I am open to some classic characters being played by a player if a player would want to and other classic characters being NPC'ed.&nbsp; My fave original character is Starbuck and I fully intend to NPC him.

Edited 1545246279
So, we have interest, it appears to be 6 people and a GM. Are we going to work out a day, time and frequency?
It looks like for time's Jesse R - most US mornings or afternoons.&nbsp; Nights are harder, only Friday/Saturday/Sunday are really open at the moment&nbsp; Harald S -&nbsp; My preference would be Tuesday to Thursday, but I could probably make Friday night work if I had to as long as it isn't too late. Rpgman -&nbsp; Mondays, Thursdays, Fridays and probably Sundays. Brundle - Any weeknight preference would be Wednesday&nbsp; The others didn't post a time or I somehow missed it, It looks like everyone could make a Friday night ?

Edited 1545291882
Friday could work, but will depend on game time. As an aside, I created a FATE Battlestar Galactica Season 2 virtual table, complete with custom FATE tokens (cubit) and FATE dice (Colonial Emblem +1, Cylon Emblem -1, black space +0). Setting Aspects are: On the run Search for the 13th tribe Alone in the universe War of the gods
I could do Friday, as long as we finish the game no later than 10pm EST (since I am in Europe, that is the latest that I can do without completely ruining my Saturday).
I will look this over and be in touch about this soon.&nbsp; I am at work at the moment.&nbsp; Stay tuned.
daddystabz said: This version of Cortex is much improved over Serenity. Is the BSG book(s) different than the Cortext Core Rulebook? Also, when are we looking to start getting this off the ground? It has been more than a week since the original post.
So is this dead? Wishful thinking? Another example of a good idea lacking follow through? Chime in people.
Daddystabz has apparently been stabbed.&nbsp; Looks like he's been AWOL since his last post here. I think it's a great idea and I'd love to play it but it's not something I'm capable of running.
Last I heard from Daddystabz was Dec-23 in a private message, stating he was waiting until after the holidays, that he was currently working a 60 hour/6 day week, and was still prepping. That was 22 days ago by my math =) Hope the guy is alright and that things have slowed down for him. Six day week is a grind.
Yeah, those kind of hours suck.&nbsp; I will say when a GM goes absent this long, it's usually over.&nbsp; Especially if it never started.&nbsp; If they do come back their priorities have usually changed.

Edited 1547588353
This is not dead at all.&nbsp; I have been still planning this out.&nbsp; I am currently working on an overarching plot and a pilot episode to play through.&nbsp; My extended peak hours at work for been extended way beyond what they were originally supposed to.&nbsp; We were not told we would still be on 60 hr work weeks, 10 hrs a day still.&nbsp; I even worked 7 days the week before last.&nbsp; I am trying to give this a little bit more time so I can get back to my normal schedule and actually have time to game again.&nbsp; Our call center got destroyed during the holidays and we are working 10 hr days now ever since and even before (for months actually,) to dig ourselves out.&nbsp; I have also been assigned to assist our Email/Chat team with digging us out of the 15,000 + email queue we got buried in.&nbsp; We are almost there finally.&nbsp; It should be over soon.&nbsp; It doesn't help that I also moved in with my girlfriend over the holidays full-time and bought a new car on Dec 21st.&nbsp; I have been super busy, LOL. Any ideas for how you all think things should have panned out 20 + years after the end of the classic series?
Twenty years later is basically Battlestar Galactica: the Next Generation.&nbsp; The original young crew would now be in senior command, assuming they survived, and the older crowd would be dead.&nbsp; Alas, poor Adama.&nbsp; If they're still in space, they are probably sorely hurting for supplies and their equipment is in poor shape. Hard to maintain a fleet on the run.
Jesse R. said: Twenty years later is basically Battlestar Galactica: the Next Generation.&nbsp; The original young crew would now be in senior command, assuming they survived, and the older crowd would be dead.&nbsp; Alas, poor Adama.&nbsp; If they're still in space, they are probably sorely hurting for supplies and their equipment is in poor shape. Hard to maintain a fleet on the run. I believe he means immediately following the first season, what direction the show would have gone. I will share some ideas I had. Ibli returns at some point, his purpose is to convert, waylay, kill the humans after all. Battlestar Pegasus makes a return. Beings of Light make a return. Additional false starts as the fleet continues on towards the coordinates of Earth: old settlements, branching off settlements, etc. Introduction of a new long running enemy. An explanation of Ibli's takeover, control, and use of the Cylons. The hunt for non-renewable resources.
::rustle:: ::rustle::
We're off to outer space, We're hunting Mother Earth, To save the human race, Our Galactic Battlestars, Are searching for a distant star, Heading off to near and far, Leaving all we love behind, Who knows what dangers we'll find? We must be strong and must be brave, The human race we've got to save
"I think she's dead Jim."
rpgman said: "I think she's dead Jim." I am still here.&nbsp; My schedule has just now went back to normal hours but I am still on 10 hour days currently to ensure we are coming out of the increased levels we were seeing.&nbsp; That part should be over soon....they say.