Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Issues with the R20 Jukebox

So i've noticed across my games that an issue has cropped up causing my Jukebox to be unusable. My library is intact and everything else works fine, i've even checked my computer and Browser settings and there is nothing preventing the Javascript from working as it should. Whenever I go to play any given song, it just doesn't play, as in no audio plays even though it reads the song as active. (And no, my computer speakers aren't an issue because if I click the cloud and go to FanBurst the songs play perfectly). Now a side note that all the "Broken" songs are those from FanBurst, the ones that aren't from FanBurst seem to work fine. Whenever I hover over the play button, the bottom left text reads "javascript:void(0);" (Screenshot attached) This has fixed itself in the past, but it's been recurrent for almost a week and consistent across all my games. I've tried reconfiguring my browser and even another browser to no effect, i've restarted my computer, and I am stumped. Anyone else have this issue or have any idea how i'd remedy it? I tend to use music in my games and not having it is annoying because my players say that it really helps the moment when used well.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Fanburst has been increasingly unstable in recent months, and there are many issues reporting this. This is one of the major reasons why Roll20 is currently working on methods to upload your own audio, so as not to be dependent on third parties such as Fanburst. The upload music system is currently being tested on the dev server , which you have access to as a Pro user.
Thank you for the insight and quick response as well as the assurance that it isn't anything on my end, that thought alone kinda scared me for a bit. I've dabbled with the Dev server a bit and some of the features there (like custom music) are really nice to have, and I can't wait for a fully functional and tested version of it to make it to R20 Base. I have always found it odd that Roll 20 has opted to use FanBurst of all things, as I'd never even heard of it prior to using R20. I think it's not a stretch to say some kind of API similar to the FanBurst API that has support for other websites like YouTube, Spotify, SoundCloud, or any other website that serves a similar function would be a blessing to have as FanBurst, while serviceable, isn't always the most opportune website for music sharing. I know it's not a simple task as creating complex API like that can be tough for even experienced programmers, let alone a complex API that would accept input and queries from so many different sources. Then for all I know there may be some legal negotiations to be had and whatnot, I'm by no means an expert programmer and don't understand the full implication of creating a feature like that, but with the apparent increased instability of FanBurst it might be worthwhile for R20 to at least consider for release in the future.

Edited 1544711553
Stephanie B.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Hi, OneSideAura,  Thanks for your feedback!  We researched all of the services you mentioned, and many more, when looking for alternatives to Fanburst. SoundCloud used to allow Roll20 to use its API, but shut that down a few years ago, which is why we moved to Fanburst in the first place. YouTube does not permit separation of the video from the audio in its API. Spotify doesn't easily allow user uploads. This round of research on an alternative started as early as August, and then accelerated when Fanburst started experiencing more frequent downtime. In the most recent hunt for a Fanburst replacement, we found no reliable alternatives that would allow music playing in the manner that gamers use via an API (APIs must be written and enabled from the provider of the service, rather than from our side), and concluded that any such service would be prone to shutting down, too. As a result, in under a month after making the decision, our devs coded the beta feature that is on the Dev server today, and which is under active development and improvement. In the meantime: we don't plan to remove Fanburst from the site, and our other audio providers, Tabletop Audio, Battlebards, and Incompetech, provide some of the best pre-made audio for rpgs.