Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

[LFG] [MST] [UTC - 07] [L5R] Looking to play the Beginner Game

Hola everyone! I'm currently looking to try out the beginner box for L5R as a player. I want to play through the story of the topaz championship first before I try and attempt to GM the game myself.  Ideally, this will allow me to get a chance to experience the story of the adventure with no spoilers.  I currently have discord in order to communicate with, and would prefer a voice only or maybe even a text game as I don't have a webcam for video chatting. I'm very group oriented and would really be grateful for a chance to jump into the new L5R system.  If you have any questions or anything, please feel free to add a post or shoot me a PM on here.  Thanks for reading my post and have a good one!
Am also interested in this, if you need another player for the game.
Thanks Kate, I will definitely keep you in mind if I manage to find a GM and some other players.  Still currently looking for others for a beginner box game.
Have the proprietary dice been scripted yet? Gimmicky games, even ones where the gimmick helps, can be a bit off-putting. If the groundwork were laid here, there are other sites to advert on if you've not already. What I mean is, if everyone that was interested in playing chipped in, they could perhaps entice an off site GM, or perhaps you could sweeten the pot starting here, for otherwise reticent roll20 L5R GMs. Just some thoughts. I'm not particularly keen on the setting but, from what I understand, the system actually does facilitate story somewhat, esp. the interpersonal and narrative bits, somewhat like the new Vampire rules, or Genesys.
They are somewhat scripted on roll20.  I do have a discord server setup with a scripted dicebot that allows you to roll both skill and ring dice.  It uses syntax similar to !roll wwbb in order to roll two skill dice and two ring dice.  Also has a bit of functionality in rerolling and keeping.  It's the one I found on the L5R discord and FFG's forums actually.  What I was planning on doing was using roll20 for handouts and such and and use Discord for the actual dice rolling.  Currently I do have a post on reddit and some other sites asking for a group but no bites yet. Yes, as you mentioned the new rules are setup like that.  Genesys is actually a really good comparison since both systems are made by the same company.  I wanted to try and compare this system to 4th edition which was the first and only edition of l5r I have tried to be honest.  The setting itself is what really interests me, that and the court and similar aspects of it. Thanks for the feedback Layman, I really appreciate it.  I'll also take what you said into consideration and hopefully something will work out.

Edited 1545094287
El Brav said: They are somewhat scripted on roll20.  I do have a discord server setup with a scripted dicebot that allows you to roll both skill and ring dice.   It uses syntax similar to !roll wwbb in order to roll two skill dice and two ring dice.  Also has a bit of functionality in rerolling and keeping.  It's the one I found on the L5R discord and FFG's forums actually.  What I was planning on doing was using roll20 for handouts and such and and use Discord for the actual dice rolling.  Currently I do have a post on reddit and some other sites asking for a group but no bites yet. > way to be proactive. Yes, as you mentioned the new rules are setup like that.  Genesys is actually a really good comparison since both systems are made by the same company.  I wanted to try and compare this system to 4th edition which was the first and only edition of l5r I have tried to be honest.  The setting itself is what really interests me, that and the court and similar aspects of it. Thanks for the feedback Layman, I really appreciate it.  I'll also take what you said into consideration and hopefully something will work out. >Thanks for being cool, instead of taking my head off or reporting me for things I still don't get; some admixture of those is usually how this sort of thing goes; I appreciate that. Thank you.
I'd also be interested in a game, but I am too busy to GM a second game. Sorry.

Edited 1545193194
No prob Layman, sorry to hear though that you had the issues you did.  Looks like a no-go so far with finding a game master, though there have been a few players that seem interested.  I'm thinking I'll just bite the bullet and run the beginner box myself as a one-shot for the players that have shown interest and just eat the spoilers.  If this is something you are still interested in Kate and Toma, I'll try to set something up for next week.
I definitely am, though I'll keep my fingers crossed that we can find a last-minute GM and you'll get to play, ♥
Ok, I'll be shooting everyone a heads up on on what is going on with the game currently.  But I think we managed to find most of the group so far.  Thank you everyone for your interest.  If it would be possible, can I get a moderator to go ahead and close this thread please? Happy Holidays everyone!