Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Request for content: Steampunk and Victorian

Edited 1547753616
I'd love to see more Steampunk and Victorian content: maps, tokens, components, sounds. I've purchased quite a bit of what's out there, but am always looking for more. I know it's not as lucrative genre as fantasy, but if you content creators just want to create some just for the pure joy of it, know that there's at least one consumer eager to take a look at your work. I think the most re-usable would be tiles like you find in FFG's Mansions of Madness : richly detailed room and area components that can be linked together to form quick yet engaging encounter settings. I were playing live tabletop, those would be very useful. I'd love to find similar for use in the virtual space. Also, sometimes it's hard to find the tree for the forest. I think I've found all the Steampunk/Victorian and purchased those that have immediate use. But if you'd like to point me out to yours, I will take a look to see if it's something I hadn't seen and it's something that I can use. TIA
Brian C.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Compendium Curator
Hi @Solanio, If you had not found it already, the Zeitgeist NPC Token Pack  has 146 tokens well suited for Victorian and steampunk settings. The token rings are thin to allow you to easily replace the ring, and the background is transparent if you want to add your own token background.
@Brian C. - thanks for the heads up. I'm more of a top-down token guy, but I went ahead and got that anyway. I think the portraits will stand out better against certain backgrounds. I'm very keen on finding maps of Victorian streets with gaslights, buildings interiors, etc. I did find some on DriveThruRPG and I can import them. It's just so handy having the marketplace. Thanks again
Brian C.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Compendium Curator
Thanks, @Solanio. If I come across any sets I will drop you a message. Which system do you play?

Edited 1547841777
Thanks, @ Brian C. Appreciated. It depends on the genre of game I'm running and if I'm weighting it more towards story or more towards encounters and risk. When trying a new game out, I like to run it first in its native system and then assess that experience to see if I'd rather something else.
Mike
Plus
Marketplace Creator
Mists of Akuma is eastern fantasy noir steampunk setting and the adventure modules for it have a bunch of maps and tokens.
I'd seen those. Nicely done. But my setting is Victorian London and environs for this act.
Solanio, They're not top-down tokens, but they might work in your Victorian/Steampunk world: <a href="https://marketplace.roll20.net/browse/set/2426/odds-and-ends-vol-1" rel="nofollow">https://marketplace.roll20.net/browse/set/2426/odds-and-ends-vol-1</a> <a href="https://marketplace.roll20.net/browse/set/2824/odds-and-ends-vol-10" rel="nofollow">https://marketplace.roll20.net/browse/set/2824/odds-and-ends-vol-10</a> I've got more on the way as well. I hope this helps!
@Monster - thanks!&nbsp;
Czepeku
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Hey Solanio, I'm now breaking into the maps category and could try whipping up some steampunk ones, do you have some specific suggestions/settings?

Edited 1548270680
Hi @Czepeku, The adventure I'm doing now for my players, it's most likely the settings I'm preparing for potential use will be done by the time you're finished with your pieces. And since I allow my characters to go where they will, it's hard to predict where they will be next. Steampunk is an encompassing genre. What I think would work best are flexible pieces that would work for multiple encounters, and would work for multiple genres. If I may suggest, what I think would work best would be two types: &nbsp; &nbsp; 1. set pieces: a battlemap that represents a given encounter area. Everything is set up and it's a fairly large map. Terrain, obstructions, buildings are all there, ready for what battlemaps work best at: combat encounters. But there's room for customization as well.&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; 2. modular pieces that can be mixed and matched. For steampunk, specifically rooms and small outdoor areas that are immediately adjacent, or in proximity, to indoor tiles (eg. an alley, section of street, garden area, greenhouse, pits that maybe lead to a cellar tile, etc). I'm not sure if you're familiar with Fantasy Flight Games' Mansions of Madness 2nd ed. game. They have these beautiful tiles that are used and reused in the game to create all sorts of environments, the same types of environments that would work so well for steampunk/victorian settings (even though the timeframe in the game is more art deco, interwar). I love the game but those tiles just cry out to also be used for RPGs, since they're at the same scale. And as you can see in the samples below, they come furnished but despite this, they're reusable. I think these types of components are very useful but also very lacking in the marketplace. Instead what we get are fully baked pieces where the dungeon or setting is fully laid out, or web get all the bits to make up rooms -- which is great! But what we're missing is that middle ground where I want to create something as rich as #1, but I don't have the time to fiddle with all the small details and get that map done because I'm building the dungeon and I only have a set amount of time. #2 is that middle-ground. Settings specific to Steampunk 1. Victorian streets (gaslit), Victorian small buildings and rooms : crossover - can often work for fantasy and modern settings. As indicated above, those Mansions' tiles work really well, even through they're set more than 50 years later. So these would work for dieselpunk right down to D&amp;D and gothic horrour 2. Hollow Earth and Dinosaur jungles : crossover - fantasy, any adventure setting 3. Alien Worlds, Alien Cities, Alien Terrain, Alien Races, Alien Life, Undersea settings. Because Steampunk settings can go into space (aether or ether), they can visit other worlds, like Mars, Venus, asteroids, and the rest of the planets in the solar system, who more resemble aspects of Victorian or pulp fiction. crossover - science fiction games, fantasy games,&nbsp; 4. Horrour. Settings dripping with blood, like gothic castles, insane asylums, arcane circuses, mad scientist laboratories, haunted mansions, Egyptian (Persian, Sassanid, Chinese, Inca) tombs. There are a number of these around, but they tend to be the fully built out ones. What if instead of baked encounter maps, do the same, but with maps broken out into distinct rooms and pieces that can be mixed and matched beyond their original scope to create something new, offering more versatility and value. crossover : fantasy, historical, pulp, cthulhuesque, time travel 5. Purely Steampunk. Factories, Floating air cities aeroship deckplans, submarine deck plans : crossover - maybe not as generic, but there are plenty of fantasy or adventure settings that incorporate steampunk aspects, because there are about as many flavors of steampunk as there are chocolate ice cream (okay, maybe an exaggeration. But for instance, there's a kickstarter for one right now to adapt both Pathfinder and D&amp;D 5e to steampunk). Again, what would work great would be modular sections to break up these maps into components. Someone might not want that factory as such, but maybe there are several component rooms that can be used in other ways that they do want enough to spring for the package. Anyway, that's my plug. I'd be happy to get any of the above just to hold onto for future use and maybe bait my players into going there. Thanks a bunch! P.S. I looked at YOUR ART . Truly beautiful. This application of your talent almost seems beyond what is called for here. But I won't suggest stopping you! I think people will really enjoy what you come up with. <a href="https://www.artstation.com/czepeku" rel="nofollow">https://www.artstation.com/czepeku</a> &nbsp;