Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Animated feature opacity

Corvin
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Hi, i'm a creator and now i would like to create animated assets, but opacity isn't supported by gif like  APNG  format, some idea?
Nick S.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Translator
According to the announcement we can use gif, webm, m4v, and mp4 file formats. Y ou can try using .webm for your files, that would support proper transparency and the file size would be less than a .gif and have better quality as well. The downside is that it's not something you can easily do with Photoshop, so you'll need to look into other software like ffmpeg to encode your files.
The Aaron
Roll20 Production Team
API Scripter
There are instructions here:&nbsp;<a href="http://wiki.webmproject.org/howtos/convert-png-frames-to-webm-video" rel="nofollow">http://wiki.webmproject.org/howtos/convert-png-frames-to-webm-video</a>

Edited 1549035172
Corvin
Pro
Marketplace Creator
yeah I tried with ffpeg and with plugin for adobe media encoder. but when i try to upload webm files (after 10 minutes waiting) they have black background.. i don't know if roll20 want special parameters except VP8.
Dean
Roll20 Team
Hi Corvin, For marketplace uploads, the vp8 transparency should work, as we're able to run it through additional decoding and encoding processes during the backend marketplace objectifying process that have not yet been streamlined to work on the standard live server upload process - which is why you're not seeing that result in your live server tests. I understand this can cause some difficulties in testing until this is worked out. Feel free to reach out to me if you need assistance in testing anything specific and I can look into checking samples of your work on our staging environment first.
Corvin
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Thanks Dean you are the best!