Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Funburst closing on the 29th of Feb 2019 - Alternatives?

Hi everybody, i just found out today, with great sadness, that funburst is closing the doors at the end of the month. Like myself, I’m assuming that multiple Users of roll20 use almost exclusively soundburst as a source of music/sound. Since that will disappear, my question for Roll20 an for the community is: - Were you aware of that? Are there alternatives or will we have to stop using sounds and musics in our adventures? ( and please don’t say battlebard or soundscapes. They are nice but very limited and not customisable) Many thanks, - Miguel

Edited 1549579564
Stephanie B.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Hi, Miguel! Thanks for your question. We learned about Fanburst this morning as well, so you can imagine we've been working diligently today to respond! In that vein, Cavni put up a blog post just a few minutes ago addressing the immediate questions about what's going to happen: Starting next week, you'll be able to upload your audio directly to Roll20, a feature that's been in beta testing for over a month. Some of the feature upgrades we were hoping to do to the Jukebox will come later, but we want to give you what we have so far.  We recommend downloading your Fanburst tracks as soon as possible. We will not discontinue support for Tabletop Audio, Incompetech, or Battlebards. We'll keep Fanburst access open for as long as we can. Let me know if you have other questions. I can't promise to have all the answers today, but we'll try to answer what we can. Edit to add:  Please note that Fanburst has said that audio files will be available until February 25th, 2019 . 
Hi Stephanie, Thanks for the infos! I think it will please everyone to know that :D Just out of curiosity, will the uploaded sounds be public and rearchable by everyone? It would definitely save space and time if people would not have to upload the same sounds over and over :) many thanks, - Miguel

Edited 1549661058
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
As I understand it, uploaded sounds will be similar to uploaded art assets: usable in the games you create and tied to that account. I believe there is also something in there about limiting the number of people who can hear them at any given time. I don't know what the latest specifics are. Allowing uploaded sounds to be usable by everyone would pretty much turn Roll20 into Napster. :)
GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr I'm really NOT liking this "tied to account space" B/S.  That is why the juke-box was an awsome function; yes we had to hunt our asssts down but we we're constantly sweating about art vs audio and having to be FORCED to pay out for a subscription. I came to R20 for the FREE service.  I don't get the lights, but I did get the sound. NOW that isn't the case it seems.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
There are many options to provide sound in your games. This is only one way. The other services still exist. Other users have chimed in about how to use external audio. Roll20 never provided anyone hosting for music. Fanburst did that. As tough a pill as it might be to swallow, if a user wants Roll20 to host their music, Roll20 has to do so in a fiscally maintainable way. Fanburst failed. Before that Soundcloud failed. I don't want Roll20 to fail.
keithcurtis said: There are many options to provide sound in your games. This is only one way. The other services still exist. Other users have chimed in about how to use external audio. Roll20 never provided anyone hosting for music. Fanburst did that. As tough a pill as it might be to swallow, if a user wants Roll20 to host their music, Roll20 has to do so in a fiscally maintainable way. Fanburst failed. Before that Soundcloud failed. I don't want Roll20 to fail. Then they need to allow for people to link broadcast from VLC media player or other free player source that is hosted on the GM's computers.  Beauty of THAT is, copyright is maintained because it isn't a link to each track...it's just a stream.  All they need to do is just make it possible to play through the R20 game room.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
You can suggest that in the Suggestion Forum. There are several threads along that line. As for the copyright claim, I'm not a copyright lawyer, so I can't speak to that.
Does anyone know how we can download tracks from fanburst? Or can we only download the tracks that we uploaded?
Tony R.
Pro
Sheet Author
I think you can download tracks based on the settings of the uploader, Brandon.
Brandon said: Does anyone know how we can download tracks from fanburst? Or can we only download the tracks that we uploaded? Yeah, unfortunately you can only download tracks you've uploaded, or that other people have made available for download. Since hearing Fanburst is going down for good on the 25th I've made all my numerous music and sound effect files I've uploaded there for R20 downloadable for those who have favorited and used them over the months, and hope others will do the same. (&nbsp; <a href="https://fanburst.com/mourning-wolf" rel="nofollow">https://fanburst.com/mourning-wolf</a> &nbsp;) @ Roll20 team: May I respectfully request you use the new alert system to inform everyone of the impending Fanburst shut down? Given a lot of R20 GM's don't frequent the forums very often/at all, it'd be nice to get out a blanket notification Fanburst is doing down so other GM's aren't caught by surprise by this? (I only found out about it by accident a 2 days ago when I went to upload more music files and ran into their notice about the impending shut down.)
Silveressa said: @ Roll20 team: May I respectfully request you use the new alert system to inform everyone of the impending Fanburst shut down? Given a lot of R20 GM's don't frequent the forums very often/at all, it'd be nice to get out a blanket notification Fanburst is doing down so other GM's aren't caught by surprise by this? (I only found out about it by accident a 2 days ago when I went to upload more music files and ran into their notice about the impending shut down.) Full notification and an email blast to newsletter subscribers will go out alongside ability to upload to Roll20 directly hitting live later this week. Lots of folks took notice via the login visual linking to the blog, so we're feeling solid about what the information circulation looks like.&nbsp;
Nolan T. J. said: Silveressa said: @ Roll20 team: May I respectfully request you use the new alert system to inform everyone of the impending Fanburst shut down? Given a lot of R20 GM's don't frequent the forums very often/at all, it'd be nice to get out a blanket notification Fanburst is doing down so other GM's aren't caught by surprise by this? (I only found out about it by accident a 2 days ago when I went to upload more music files and ran into their notice about the impending shut down.) Full notification and an email blast to newsletter subscribers will go out alongside ability to upload to Roll20 directly hitting live later this week. Lots of folks took notice via the login visual linking to the blog, so we're feeling solid about what the information circulation looks like.&nbsp; As some who never frequents the home page of Roll20, I wholeheartedly agree with Silveressa. This unfortunate circumstance should be told to everyone that uses Roll20, not just those who know where to look for this information. In my opinion, this situation should merit as much notification as a minor release or major release. P.S. I also believe the minor weekly releases should also be advertised via the notification system and not just reserved for the major releases.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
I have a feeling this comes down to an editorial decision for&nbsp; signal:noise. Too many alerts and nobody reads them, too few and you don't get enough info out. Fanburst shutdown does seem like a good candidate, though.

Edited 1549978682
I understand the plan to announce when the My Audio solution is ready, but some folks may have lots of files to download from Fanburst, so it might be better to get an announcement out now about the shutdown and My Audio coming, and another when My Audio is live.