Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Spellbook/Prepared spells

Hi all, How does one make a spell book that only looks at prepared spells, rather than all spells? My druid changes her spell list a lot and can't really use the spellbook macro at all. Here is the spellbook macro I currently use: &{template:npcaction}{{rname= Spellcasting}} {{name=@{character_name}}} {{description=Cantrips (at will) [@{repeating_spell-cantrip_$0_spellname}](~selected|repeating_spell-cantrip_$0_spell) [@{repeating_spell-cantrip_$1_spellname}](~selected|repeating_spell-cantrip_$1_spell)[@{repeating_spell-cantrip_$2_spellname}](~selected|repeating_spell-cantrip_$3_spell) [@{repeating_spell-cantrip_$3_spellname}](~selected|repeating_spell-cantrip_$4_spell) [@{repeating_spell-cantrip_$4_spellname}](~selected|repeating_spell-cantrip_$4_spell) [@{repeating_spell-cantrip_$5_spellname}](~selected|repeating_spell-cantrip_$5_spell) [@{repeating_spell-cantrip_$6_spellname}](~selected|repeating_spell-cantrip_$6_spell)}} Then 1,2,3 level spells etc.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
She shouldn't have a lot of unprepared spells on her sheet. It would be more efficient to delete ones she doesn't need, and add the ones she does via a Compendium drag. She could keep the sheet popped out in a separate window and click on them to cast them. I know it's not as convenient as a chat macro, but the Roll20 sheet doesn't have a strong, built in spell macro.
This could only really work for my game if you can add to the compendium, otherwise, I believe this player would simply refuse and run her character sheet in a separate window. I have however never seen this feature, but is it possible to add to the 5e compendium? 
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
I'm confused. Why do you need to add something to the Compendium? Is she running a lot of Homebrewed spells? If so, they would need to remain on her sheet, of course. However, if she has every possible spell she could prepare, resident on her sheet at all times, this is a recipe for lag.
So, I and one of my players have Xanithar's guide to everything (physical copy), and has pulled a couple spells from that list. None of us are in a financial position to even consider buying an electronic copy in addition to the ones we have. I was just hoping to smooth out her spell casting. Having stuff added to the compendium would make swapping spells easier. Or having some macro for singling out prepared spells only for a 'spellbook' macro.
Kraynic
Pro
Sheet Author
This would take time instead of money, but you could create another character and name it Xanathar Spells.  Use the Attributes & Abilities tab to write up custom macros for spells from that book, and give anyone that needs to cast spells the permissions to that sheet (archive it if you want to keep people from messing something up by accident).  To cut down the work, only write macros for spells that are likely to be used.  Then you could follow some of Kieth's advice from the  Stupid Tricks thread and create a  Chat Menu spell book macro of those spells. Or, you could make that sheet and use it as a base caster sheet that you copy to give out as caster character sheets.  The player can go through the list of macros and check/uncheck "show as token action" as things are added or removed from their prepared spell list.  There is usually a way to work around things.  You just have to be alright with putting in time that takes the place of the money that buys convenience that reduces prep time.  Or something like that.