Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Looking for recommendations for a user friendly Javascript editor

SᵃᵛᵃǤᵉ
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Question for the community? What are your recommendations for a user friendly Javascript editor?
Victor B.
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
I use js.do
Scott C.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
Sublime or visual basic studio work great. I also just coded directly in the Roll20 editor a while, which works fine until you want to be able to undo code changes between sessions.
SᵃᵛᵃǤᵉ
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Specifically Javascript??

Edited 1550169798
Ammo
Pro
Visual Studio Code (vscode).   It’s awesome on PC or Mac even though it is by Microsoft.  It’s  a pro level tool for free.   There is a large marketplace of plugins.
I second vscode. It's lightweight, easy, and free.

Edited 1550185603
Scott C.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
Ah, Vscode was what I meant instead of VBstudio, although I like sublime better. It's got more customization I've found the settings easier to manipulate.
Pat
Pro
API Scripter
Notepad.  I'm a purist. 
Notepad++ has always been my favorite for almost any coding
The Aaron
Roll20 Production Team
API Scripter
Vim (but it's not user friendly... =D)
GiGs
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
I remember reading a tutorial for Vim that I thought was a satire about how complicated software instruction manuals were, especially with the tutorial writer saying how simple it was then describing a crazy sequence of keystrokes you had to remember to do certain tasks. It only gradually dawned on me that it was in fact a seriously written user guide for Vim. It does seem powerful, but definitely a power-user tool.
Jakob
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Emacs, of course.
As was mentioned, Notepad++ with the js highlighting. If you want something a bit of a step up, you can't go wrong with Sublime Text 3.
The Aaron
Roll20 Production Team
API Scripter
Jakob said: Emacs, of course. Hahahaha!  Trolling me!
Jakob
Sheet Author
API Scripter
The Aaron said: Jakob said: Emacs, of course. Hahahaha!  Trolling me! Why, I'd never. On a more serious note, VSCode is great for Javascript. It's what I use.
Keith
Pro
Marketplace Creator
The Aaron said: Vim (but it's not user friendly... =D) Hear Hear!