Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Bard Spellcasting

Hello I'm new to spell-casters in general.  I did , starting wealth, So I have to buy my items. I noticed that with instruments it says I can add the proficiency when I roll for ability checks? What exactly does that mean? Can it be counted when I use with my instrument to attack with a spell?
Kraynic
Pro
Sheet Author
You might want to mention what game system you are playing and (if there is more than one) the character sheet being used.  Then you might get someone who can answer how mechanics are handled in that sheet.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Keep in mind that this forum exists to facilitate discussion about Roll20 and running games thereon. We cannot answer rules questions for any given system.
Sure we can :) Though the question is a little confusing.. I'll try to answer anyways.  From the context, it looks like you're talking about a 5E D&D bard. They get proficiency with 3 instruments of choice. This means they can use them (as a tool), and add their current proficiency bonus to the roll (along with a characteristic bonus, determined by the GM). Assuming you're using the 5E OGL sheet, you can set up your instruments in the tools section (bottom left IIRC). Don't ask me about musical instrument vs perform. I have no clue. However, bards can also use an instrument as a spellcasting focus. You don't add proficiency a second time. Instead, your spells will already have proficiency baked into them (attack roll, or save DC), assuming you're using 5E OGL (and probably for shaped sheet as well, it's been forever since I used it).
Oh my gosh. I'm sorry guys. Blast L got it though I'm using 5E with the ogl sheet.Thanks so much. I think I realized that it means I just get proficiency to when i just play the said object out of battle. i.e. I'm playing in a square, roll how well it was played.