Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

FTP to image/music storage

Score + 24
I'm certain I've seen this come up a time or two in past years, but with the recent changes (increased storage space and music playback), I feel it bears repeating. Frankly, the built-in interface for uploading and managing images is not great.  It's slow, clunky, and unintuitive.  I'd honestly be happier being able to access my storage via FTP, where I could use the client of my choice to manage my materials. It would have a variety of benefits, least of which would include not feeling obligated to keep every image I've ever uploaded stored so I don't have to go through the trouble of uploading it again.
Laurent
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Would that be possible?
Laurent
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
I'm still interested in that...
Laurent
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Would still be good to have.
Having access to personal FTP uploads would remove the biggest barrier to entry for new roll20 DMs, in my opinion. I have a folder of useful, generic tokens I've curated over the years in a strict folder structure. I use them to populate crowded map areas like taverns and castles quickly. Having to upload them in small batches and then individually click on each token before moving them takes so much longer than it needs to. It's very tedious. Adding FTP would mean I could spend more time using the best features of roll20, rather than wasting time fighting a cumbersome one. Even if there's still a batch upload data limit, which makes perfect sense, being able to more easily create and add to your file structure would save so much time. The recently added section, while useful in certain instances, is less useful and more confusing in general when batch adding, especially when trying to add those recent files to your file structure using the current system. Sorry for the essay, I just really believe implementing this feature would improve the quality of life for those who use the app most.
Laurent
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Please?
Years later, I maintain my original opinion that this would be an incredibly convenient change for all users.
Laurent
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Roll20 is working on a smoother interface, but I wonder how they can beat existing ftp clients...
I'll believe it when I see it, but my guess is that it still won't be as simple and easy as an FTP.