Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Quality of (GM) Life Suggestion: Let GMs move players to specific maps regardless of whether or not they are online

Score + 42
Current Usage:  We can drag a player's icon (who is signed into your game and is currently online) to a specific map to "split the party" or to send them to a custom page just for them. Proposed Change: Let the GM assign a player or players to a specific map even if they are not signed into the game. The next time the player signs in, they will see the page they were assigned to.
One HUGE benefit of this would be to allow GMs to run 'Play By Mail' games (so to speak) for their players. Each player logs on whenever they like, with the same game link as everyone else. When they do, they see a map (or a graphical turn-page) created just for themselves alone. An enterprising GM could run complex strategic war games, or other games that rely on hidden dispositions. I regret that I can only upvote this once!
Even if the list of faces at the bottom of the screen still showed everyone, but the offline players were greyed out or something - and still usable as far as being movable to maps and such.
I could have used this feature with the campaign I'm creating right now.

Edited 1653198395
Victor B.
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
There's a deeper issue.  Roll20 isn't tracking enough information about what player is on a specific map.  You get one map related to the turnorder and that's about it due to limitations about Roll20 architecture.  I know this because I can't transfer combat between maps in my Combat Master API.  The architecture doesn't allow it.  This is deeper than you think.  And should be fixed
Victor B. said: There's a deeper issue.  Roll20 isn't tracking enough information about what player is on a specific map.  You get one map related to the turnorder and that's about it due to limitations about Roll20 architecture.  I know this because I can't transfer combat between maps in my Combat Master API.  The architecture doesn't allow it.  This is deeper than you think.  And should be fixed Indeed. If only I could vote more than once... Oh well, this seems to be the way of things right now. Your challenge sounds intriguing. I would love to see your creative API design in action. May all issues--deep or shallow--be resolved. Roll20 is so close to offering the user interface I need. This would be great! and this one too .

Edited 1653229699
Oosh
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Victor B. said: There's a deeper issue.  Roll20 isn't tracking enough information about what player is on a specific map.  You get one map related to the turnorder and that's about it due to limitations about Roll20 architecture.  I know this because I can't transfer combat between maps in my Combat Master API.  The architecture doesn't allow it.  This is deeper than you think.  And should be fixed Out of interest, what other data do you need to make it work? You have access to the page id of every token on the turn order, and the page id of every player who isn't on the player ribbon page: Also, you can absolutely move players who aren't online, but only with Pro/API, or some devtools cleverness, not through the UI.
Victor B.
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
The turnorder is the issue.  Long and short, the current architecture doesn't track enough information to be able to accurately track via API which panel you are on.  I ran into this with Combat Master because I wanted to be able to switch maps mid-combat or be able to split the party across maps.  I gave up on it because I couldn't accurately track which map the player is on and tie it back to the turnorder.  
CarnivorousMeat said: Even if the list of faces at the bottom of the screen still showed everyone, but the offline players were greyed out or something - and still usable as far as being movable to maps and such. This might be fine for a small game, but if you've got a Pick Up Game Hub with hundreds (or even just tens) of players, only a few of which are playing in a given pick-up game, it could really crowd your screen.
I'm with Maarken on the clutter aspect of keeping the player images on the screen.  I have players who go months between showing up (its a long-term campaign, and sometimes people have other things going on in their lives). But using the right sidebar for a list of players and letting us drag from their onto the page list would solve that. And I really like being able to move someone to a map other than the default in advance of a session, so +1.