Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Additional Purchase Options: especially 5e

Edited 1550391055
Ok, so I know there are numerous threads about roll20 pricing / having to pay for content twice etc.  I also understand roll20 provides considerable additional value with their drag and drop content (eg monsters manual).  But those caveats aside, it seems to me roll20 are still missing an enormous opportunity to generate additional revenue. Here’s an example:  I recently toyed with purchasing Mordenkainen’s ToFs.  I personally prefer the format of D&D Beyond (and already have most of my library there) but like the  the additional roll20 content.  I’m unwilling to pay twice. I decided having the manual in Beyond was more important to me than the additional content so roll20 lost out on the sale. If, however, roll20 offered a purchase option for the additional content only at a reduced price (eg the drag and drop tokens/ stat blocks but not the actual bumpf from the text) I would definitely have purchased that additional content as well.  This is not too dissimilar to how Beyond offers the monsters only purchase option.   Sure, I get many like the roll20 compendium (not me personally but that’s cool) and I get roll20 ideally want you to purchase the whole text, but there is an entire market for those who simply wont do that but would be willing to buy something.  This could easily generate additional revenue (eg currently I won’t buy texts from roll20 but would certainly buy a lot of content in this format).  It would also be in WotC interest, since they’d get additional revenue from the purchase.  It’s a win-win-win.  I rather suspect there are many people who have already purchased in D&D Beyond / hardcopy would be willing to buy a tokens add on. Any way, food for thought.  Hope it helps.
Its perhaps worth pointing out, this may also attract more people to roll20 over competitors, especially since they have dropped their prices on marketplace content 
I'm guessing this would be more a terms of licensing agreement issue than a Roll20 decision, but it would be interesting to see some partial content sales.
There may well be licensing issues, but I’m guessing not.  WotC have been very brave and creative in their pricing of digital content (allowing customers to cherry pick what parts of the book they buy).  There’s no logical reason why they wouldn’t allow roll20 to do the same: it fits their model, it gives them additional revenue streams and would make their customers (us) and their associates (roll20) very happy.
Thanks for the suggestion! After 30 days, Suggestions and Ideas with fewer than 10 votes are closed and the votes are refunded to promote freshness. Your suggestion didn't build the right momentum this time, but feel free to submit it again! We find that the best suggestions describe the problem you are having, and the solution you want. You can learn more about the process of making suggestions on the Roll20 Wiki! More details can be found here .