Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Max tail

At what amount does tile roll 20 start to lag or take a long time to load? I want to make a very large map with a huge number of objects. But I worry that roll20 will not master and will not be able to load it. Or I'm afraid that players will not be able to upload it.
Ziechael
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Image/page size is certainly a factor but not the defining one for loading time. If you had a plus or higher subscription and were using Dynamic Lighting or Advanced Fog of War then the bigger the are the harder they load. You will get a warning when using a page over a certain size but you can ignore that and just give it a go ;) Just how large are you wanting to go?
Зихаэль сказал: Размер изображения / страницы, безусловно, является фактором, но не определяющим для времени загрузки. Если у вас была подписка плюс или выше, и вы использовали Dynamic Lighting или Advanced Fog of War, то чем больше, тем сложнее они загружаются. Вы получите предупреждение при использовании страницы более определенного размера, но вы можете проигнорировать это и просто попробовать;) Насколько большим вы хотите пойти? I plan to make one big location in the fog of war. 800x800 or 1000x1000 cells. All this is covered by a terrain tile + objects
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
You may not be able to re-open that page. That is far beyond the specs of Roll20. I have seen reports of folks being able to manage 200x200 without problem, but the system will warn you long before that. If you add in a graphic that is 70,000 x 70,000 pixels, the image alone would be too big for most browsers to even display without special software. Throw in any kind of dynamic lighting only make the situation worse. If I might ask: what are you trying to accomplish?
keithcurtis said: You may not be able to re-open that page. That is far beyond the specs of Roll20. I have seen reports of folks being able to manage 200x200 without problem, but the system will warn you long before that. If you add in a graphic that is 70,000 x 70,000 pixels, the image alone would be too big for most browsers to even display without special software. Throw in any kind of dynamic lighting only make the situation worse. If I might ask: what are you trying to accomplish? If I use small tiles and collect a large map from them? Approximately 400 small tiles to create a large map in pieces. Me need a big open world map for my rpg.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Actually many small tiles are much worse than fewer large tiles. Ultimately, you are attempting something that Roll20 is not designed for. If this is for a world map, I would suggest having one world map page at a reasonable image size (say 6-8 2MB images, which is still pretty hefty), and then a series of regional maps on different pages. Just to put this in perspective, a 1000x1000 cell map at 140 dpi (max magnification) would be a 73 Gigabyte file. No browser could even display a map like that, and Roll20 would choke trying to track 1 million grid squares. You need a different solution. Here are some pages on resource management and optimization that might give you more information. Best Practices for Files on Roll20 Optimizing Roll20's Performance
Pat
Pro
API Scripter
Another option is to have a large overland map at one scale (one tile = 5 miles) and smaller maps for encounters (one tile= 5 feet)... that might make it possible for you to have a bunch of maps that load quickly while still having a huge open world feel.