Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Divorce the turn order from the active map

Score + 87
Okay I run big complex combat encounters. These generally need either multiple small maps or one great big map. Currently 50 by 50 is the standard map size I use, and even that tends to lag. And for some reason the lag gets worse the more roll20 updates.I used to use 100 by 100 maps. But thats just not doable now. One of the biggest obstacles to using multiple small maps is that the players can only see the turns for tokens that rolled initiative on the map they are looking at. Which causes a LOT of problems. I can guess there are some problems with doing it another way. Especially with some of the API scripts. But surely there is a work around. Maybe make it a toggleable option to force and lock everyone onto whatever map the active turn is on. It may be inconvenient but it would at least make running an encounter over multiple smaller maps at least possible.
Never thought of running very complex fights on different maps - good idea. I must try that! If initiative breaks across maps then that would be a problem. +1

Edited 1552381910
Brian C.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Compendium Curator
My guess is that the issue here is the turn order is tied to tokens rather than players. Those tokens are on one map, and you cannot move the token to a new map. Even copy/paste of the token to a new map gives you a new (copy) of the token. When I have multiple small maps for different levels, I place them all on the same map and separate them with dynamic lighting lines. Then I drag the players' tokens between the sub maps as they move from level to level or location to location.
Just having a small indicator on the turn order for tokens that are not on the currently displayed map would be helpful, along with the option to show turns for tokens on other maps to the players to avoid confusion.  I agree the option to auto-shift yourself and/or the players to the map with the token whose turn it is would be nice (with possible exception built in for tokens not on the Token layer). 
@brian, the issue with that is as I mentioned, large maps are slow to load and are laggy in play.  You dont notice lag?
Brian C.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Compendium Curator
Not particularly, but we may be doing different things with the map page. I use AFoW and DL along with some scripts, but the player tokens are the only ones with sight. I do occasionally run into lag, but that seems to be character sheet related.

Edited 1552837466
Might be because I tend to populate all the objects in my maps manually. My last map was a 50 by 50 where I copied pasted about a hundred tree tokens that I had used the red highlight option to turn red, I dropped a lot of red flowers, a pond, a bunch of skulls in the pond. And marked out places where nooses were scattered about randomly. And it lagged hard. All on top of the cracked dirt terrain from endless terrains.
Brian C. said: When I have multiple small maps for different levels, I place them all on the same map and separate them with dynamic lighting lines. Then I drag the players' tokens between the sub maps as they move from level to level or location to location. This is genius. Thank you.
pen and paper at the desk yo, quickest way around it fooorr sure!
Oh, yes please. I don't run combat encounters on multiple maps very often, but it has happened before (usually due to sequence breaking and/or unexpected actions on the part of players), and when it does, being able to keep the turn order up regardless of the selected map would save a lot of hassle.
Stephen C.
Pro
Sheet Author
Just ran an encounter on a huge map with multiple floors. This would have been so incredibly helpful.
Finderski
Pro
Sheet Author
Compendium Curator
My biggest problem is the PC list stays the same...when I go to a new combat, I have to remove EVERYONE from the turn order and add EVERYONE again.  It would so much simpler if I could just remove the combatants that are not part of this and add the new ones. Instead, we forget deal cards to Turn order (I play Savage Worlds) and then the players can't see any initiatives except for the enemy, because they are the only new tokens, etc...
Gold
Forum Champion
I have been very confused and see my GM's getting confused about this Not sure why the Turn Order disappears (for players) yet sort of remains (for GM) from Page to Page, Map to Map please examine this behavior and, Let the Turn order persist from page to page and simply to be Cleared by the GM at the GM's choice +1
Joe said: Just having a small indicator on the turn order for tokens that are not on the currently displayed map would be helpful, along with the option to show turns for tokens on other maps to the players to avoid confusion.  I agree the option to auto-shift yourself and/or the players to the map with the token whose turn it is would be nice (with possible exception built in for tokens not on the Token layer).  Man, being able to add icons to entries in the initiative would be great. Conditions, etc.
Stephen C.
Pro
Sheet Author
There were changes made to the turn tracker since this topic was made, but this still remains an issue.
This has been a consistent irritation for me for a long time. I'd love to see this too.