Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Drag and Drop Mooks' HP

Hiya! Does anyone else have an issue where they set up a mook for drag and drop from the journal, but then it only sometimes randomizes the hp using the NPC character sheet formula?  It seems like I'll drag 5 in a row that have the "average" hp and then another 2 or 3 will utilize the formula.  Not a huge issue because honestly its just mook hp, but I'm curious if anyone else has a tip for getting it to always utilize the formula.
How are you sure that the hpformula is not being used? The average hp is the average for a reason. Perhaps you are just rolling the average amount.
That's certainly possible, but mathematically unlikely when I drag 5+ in a row with the same exact hp, then one or two with different hp, then another several in a row with the same average hp. And with different mooks.  And not once or twice, but frequently.  Possible, yes, but it seems highly unlikely.  Try to get the exact same number 5 or 6 times in a row on a 4d8+15 roll.
Loren the GM
Pro
Marketplace Creator
What are you using to roll the hit dice? I'd highly recommend the MonsterHitDice script (in the one click repository) to make this work as easily as possible.
Went back to double check that yes, I am using that API.  I have it configured to put HP in bar 1 on dropped tokens using npc_hpformula off the OGL 5e character sheets.  I have it set to *not* look for an SRD embedded formula because the npc stat blocks for the OGL seem to auto-populate the npc_hpformula attribute with just the formula and leave the averaged hp in the denominator of the hp attribute.  Visually, though, the stat block does present the average followed by the formula in parentheses.  I've not tried toggling SRD embedded formulas.  Let me see if that impacts it.

Edited 1552623396
Loren the GM
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Rebecca W. said: Went back to double check that yes, I am using that API.  I have it configured to put HP in bar 1 on dropped tokens using npc_hpformula off the OGL 5e character sheets.  I have it set to *not* look for an SRD embedded formula because the npc stat blocks for the OGL seem to auto-populate the npc_hpformula attribute with just the formula and leave the averaged hp in the denominator of the hp attribute.  Visually, though, the stat block does present the average followed by the formula in parentheses.  I've not tried toggling SRD embedded formulas.  Let me see if that impacts it. Attached is a screenshot of how I configure it for Bar 3. If you select the sheet, it should pre-configure everything for you (fields will be blank) and should pretty much just work out of the box. It's possible if you have added other formulas or information that it might be conflicting with the auto-configuration?
Oh good suggestion.  I'll give that a shot.
OK I figured it out.  I was setting up the mook tokens themselves with hp in bar_1 and then resetting that to "none" once the hp value loaded, then making that mook token the default for the NPC character sheet in the journal.   I need to just leave that bar_1 value in the tokens completely blank (not merely set to "none" but with no values in the boxes) before making them the default token for the NPC.  The formula roll works perfectly now. Apologies for my ineptitude and thanks to those who replied!