Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Day/Night Cycle

Hi, new to the pro-user stuff, and on a brief forum search, I didn't see anything about day and night cycles. Is it possible to set up a script that I can click that will darkens the zone as the sun sets and make it so that my players without dark vision gradually lose their ability to see around them without the use of lanterns and torches. And affect those with various other vision types, like dark vision, low light and etc.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
It might be possible with a specifically designed script, but not with off-the-shelf stuff. Token-mod can change values, but it doesn't have decision-making intelligence to know which tokens to adjust. I also know you can add and subtract light emission values, but adjusting values like you discuss might be a little more complex. I don't think the API can turn Dynamic Lighting on and off, either. If you just want to make the scene look more day or night-like, you can always use a black aura token .
Kirsty
Pro
Sheet Author
This is an old script that partially does what you're asking for. This thread examines how to adjust the lighting based off of a timer. Perhaps you can find a way to combine those scripts to get what you're looking for? 

Edited 1552669515
GM Michael
API Scripter
The best way to approach this is probably from the darkvision itself.  Mark everyone's actual darkvision value, then when in day mode, give everyone full light emission and visibility.  Then, as the daylight fades, just interpolate between their maxed-out day vision and their night vision.  Of course, this doesn't work if they go inside so i guess you'd need a toggle for that.
Thank you, everyone for your suggestions and I'll play with each idea to figure out which option works best. Michael G. said: The best way to approach this is probably from the darkvision itself.  Mark everyone's actual darkvision value, then when in day mode, give everyone full light emission and visibility.  Then, as the daylight fades, just interpolate between their maxed-out day vision and their night vision.  Of course, this doesn't work if they go inside so i guess you'd need a toggle for that. So, essentially, what you are suggesting is to just make the whole map black, and then manually adjust their visibility based on the time of day, in-game?