Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Dynamic Lighting is a square not a Circle

When I set up a character or a torch to have site and give them 360 degrees and the appropriate length of site instead of being a circle it comes up as a Square instead and the whole thing is dim light instead of it being 50/50 dim/bright light I'm pretty sure i have everything set up correctly but I just can't seem to get it to work.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
You are most like looking at Advanced Fog of War's lighting square. There is a bug that is currently being working on that causes this problem between the AFoW and Dynamic Lighting. Try turning off AFoW and see if the problem does not clear up.
Glad it’s a known bug!  I was questioning my sanity after setting this weeks game up.  I’ve turned off AFOW and dynamic lighting works, but you lose the shaded FOW. Hope they fix it soon, but it’s still useable in the current form.  
Aha it appears to have worked thank you, I was also questioning my sanity! 
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
I agree wholeheartedly that AFoW needs to be fixed, but in the meantime, you can use the workaround we used to use before there was such a thing. Use a light crumb for areas that have been explored. A light crumb is a token controlled by all players that has dim light and sight. Drop one of these as players leave an area, and they will retain a dim light vision of their visited rooms. Not ideal, and you don't want to use dozens of these or you'll be dealing with lag, but it is an option to explore.
I'm getting this same issue, just googled it and found this :) Hope it gets fixed, I'm experimenting with lighting to reveal the world map to players in a wilderness exploration, which is very dependent on a natural field of vision :)
So with the circle now working in on my way to creating my first map with full dynamic lighting but I've run into another issue. One of my players token's when I select Ctr+L it is pitch black I have a torch that is right beside them with emits light, 'all players can see light' is selected and the torch token has site. After this I clicked for the players token to have site but it revealed everything they are supposed to not be able to see in the dark but they can't see the torchlight when 'has site' is checked but when it is checked they can see into the darkness with no restrictions and it never goes into dim light. I want it so that the player can only see the torchlight but whatever I try and wherever I go to research this I can't find a fix for it. Do I just have to accept the character has to have 'has site' enabled and deal with him seeing everything?

Edited 1555202528
Ok So I think I may have found what it was can players see what other players are seeing? if so how to disable this? When I deleted all other player tokens it worked as expected but when I added players with darkvision (added emits light120/60) the player without darkvision can see what they see too (through conrole+L)

Edited 1555260677
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Ctrl-L is not reporting correctly. It was broken in a January update. A workaround is to set up a dummy account and log into your game as a player. You can check the sight of any character from there by assigning control to the  dummy account  from your main account. You can make this quicker by opening the dummy account in a separate, incognito window. You can follow the progress of the Ctrl-L fix  here .