Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Getting into Dungeons & Dragons.

What is the recommended order of buying all the books for DnD 5e?  Also if I buy from roll20, will it be digital and physical? Or just digital?  If I buy from Amazon with proof of purchase am I able to use the content on roll20 I'm pretty sure it's a no but it doesn't hurt to ask. 
Brian C.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Compendium Curator
Roll20's products have all the content of the physical books, but it is in a digital format specific to Roll20. Books purchases do not cover Roll20 products, nor does purchasing the same product in a digital format on a different marketplace. For Roll20, you are paying for not only the licensed content but the time it takes to put that content into the digital format. As for what order to buy the books, that depends on what you need. You can use Roll20 to play D&D 5e games, but only a limited portion of the character options and monsters will be available without purchasing the PHB and MM.
Brian C. said: Roll20's products have all the content of the physical books, but it is in a digital format specific to Roll20. Books purchases do not cover Roll20 products, nor does purchasing the same product in a digital format on a different marketplace. For Roll20, you are paying for not only the licensed content but the time it takes to put that content into the digital format. As for what order to buy the books, that depends on what you need. You can use Roll20 to play D&D 5e games, but only a limited portion of the character options and monsters will be available without purchasing the PHB and MM. I'm talking about collecting 100% of the DnD 5e collection. From first to current book. (Sorry if this is too much to ask) Thank you for answering about the content though 
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Angel C. said: What is the recommended order of buying all the books for DnD 5e?  Also if I buy from roll20, will it be digital and physical? Or just digital?  If I buy from Amazon with proof of purchase am I able to use the content on roll20 I'm pretty sure it's a no but it doesn't hurt to ask.  Start off with the player's handbook then the monster manual or the Dungeon Masters Guide. After that it is mostly just what you want to pickup that suits your interest at the time. Pickup a campaign module or just a single adventure module if you are going to be running it. If you are going to be just a player then the PHB is all you need. If you are going to play exclusively on Roll20 then purchasing it here will make your gaming easier. If you are going to play it in real life or other sites / programs and don't mind having books then physical is the way to go but I know some people pickup the digital and keep it on a tablet. As you can see it really depends on where and how you are going to game. Roll20 material is only for Roll20 and if you purchase anything elsewhere, there is no crossover or proof of purchase.

Edited 1554215459
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
My Recommendations. I have placed adventure modules at the end, since they can pretty much be run in any order. For those, go by publish date. 1. Players Handbook, it just gives you the full set of rules 2. Monster Manual, full set of regular monsters, with tokens 3. Xanathar's Guide, more spells, more character class options 4. Mordekaininen Tome, More monsters 5. Volo's Guide, last because it has not been incorporated into the Charactermancer yet. 6. Guildmaster's Guide to Ravnica, necessary only if you are planning a Ravnica campagin Check to see which products are contained within others. If you buy Tales from the Yawning portal, you don't need to buy any of the sub adventures (ex. White Plume Mountain) Adventure Publish order (Not all of these are available on Roll20 yet.) Lost Mines of Phandelver Tyranny of Dragons - Hoard of the Dragon Queen Tyranny of Dragons Elemental Evil - Princes of the Apocalypse Rage of Demons - Out of the Abyss Curse of Strahd Storm King's Thunder Tales from the Yawning Portal Tomb of Annihilation Waterdeep Dragonheist Waterdeep Dungeon of the Mad Mage Ghosts of Saltmarsh (coming soon)