Advertisement Create a free account

Token Selection - New Attack Options Button - Show Attack Options

Score + 7

Edited 1554379472
Mark
Plus
Terrible title, sorry... And if this suggestion has come up before, please close and direct me to it. The picture should tell you what I'm suggesting. Basically when you select a token, I would like that there is an extra little round button at the bottom, to the right of the Status button. When you click on that Attack button, it pops up any Attack Options, as set up in the Journal (be it a Character, NPC or Mook) and allows you to click on it (like you can from the Journal) and do the rolling of the dice and all the rest. Click on the Attack button again and the options disappear. Edit: It seems people may not have understood what I am hoping to achieve with this mod, so here is another screenshot. I create "mooks" for all the most common, repeated enemies like Kobolds, Goblins, Gnolls, where I connect a Token to an NPC character sheet. I populate the NPC sheet with all the standard data for that creature, including the allowed attacks.Here is a screenshot for the Gnoll pictured above. As you can see, I have added in the two Attacks, and have for clarity started to create another. The little checkbox that specifies the action as an Attack would need to be selected for any of these to show up after pressing the new Attack button. This new attack button is really more for the DM use than player use, so that I don't have to keep referring to the Monster Manual to see what the attack bonus is and how much damage is done. And yes, I am sure everything can be done with Macros - If you're a Pro subscriber... But to redo all this info when it's already entered into the character sheet... It takes long enough to set up an encounter... And not everyone can justify Pro subscription. So, this suggestion is for the little guy. The underdog. The povo kid that can't afford to play with the big boys. Go on, give it an upvote. You know you want to! :)

Edited 1554300024
Spren
Pro
Sheet Author
While not exactly what you are looking for there is a similar thing that already exists and it's call a token action. Essentially you set up a macro and click the check box that makes it a token action, this can be done on where the global macros go or in the individual character's attributes & abilities tab. Once you have it set up, you click the token and then on top left of the table top you will see a macro bar with the button for your token action. Just click those and they'll do their thing.  So for your example you just set up a macro for Long Sword and Spear Throw and you'll have them on you bar. Here's a link to the wiki about them:  https://wiki.roll20.net/Token_Actions The catch is that it doesn't automatically pull from your sheet. So you need to make those token actions for each character you want to have them, or make a general macro that works for every character and put it in each sheet or make it a global macro. Luckily there are api scripts to automatically create token actions for your character sheet but you need to be a pro subscriber for that.
Mark
Plus
Thanks for the link to Token Actions. I'll take a read... >Just click those and they'll do their thing.  But they don't SHOW me what the action is, what the bonuses are and what needs to be rolled if I'm "old school" and roll physical dice.  >The catch is that it doesn't automatically pull from your sheet. Yeah, that's a bit of a deal breaker. :) The "workaround" I have is that if you ALT-Double Click on the Token, their sheet comes up and it has the actions listed, and you can click on them to roll dice etc.But I think my suggestion is a little more refined. ;)
No, each one of the abilities has a checkbox for "Show as Token Action" which means they show up as a macro button bar when the token is selected.  No need to open the sheet to access them.  They do draw directly from the sheet if you are using attribute calls for your macros.  That way, any time an attribute is altered in the sheet, the macro will be pulling the updated value. For instance, on the pathfinder sheet that is used in a game I play, I could set up a melee attack macro and have the attack roll look something like this: [[1d20 + @{strength_mod} + @{bab}]] Or, I could bypass those 2 and just call for the following, since this value includes both of those: [[1d20 + @{melee_mod}]] No reason to open the sheet, that would pull in all base bonuses and any temporary bonuses that have been added to the sheet. You can do the same for skills, spells, defenses, or whatever.  Just about everything you enter on the character sheet generates an attribute on the attributes and abilities tab, and some that don't show up there are hidden attributes that can still be used/called in macros.  My problem with this as a suggestion is how would they make it in such a way that it would work with any game system and any character sheet?  The token macro bar already does.
Spren
Pro
Sheet Author
Mark said: Thanks for the link to Token Actions. I'll take a read... >Just click those and they'll do their thing.  But they don't SHOW me what the action is, what the bonuses are and what needs to be rolled if I'm "old school" and roll physical dice.  >The catch is that it doesn't automatically pull from your sheet. Yeah, that's a bit of a deal breaker. :) The "workaround" I have is that if you ALT-Double Click on the Token, their sheet comes up and it has the actions listed, and you can click on them to roll dice etc.But I think my suggestion is a little more refined. ;) You could name your token action really descriptively. For example: The pull from sheet thing I think I maybe I worded poorly. I was just trying to say that if you add a weapon you won't get a new macro magically. You will need to manually make a token action for each thing you want on your bar.
Mark
Plus
Kraynic > My problem with this as a suggestion is how would they make it in such a way that it would work with any game system and any character sheet?   OK, I only play with the D&D sheets, so I am obviously naive as to how other game systems play, so excuse the silly questions: 1. Do other game systems do attacks? 2. In the D&D sheet, when you add an action, there is a checkbox that you can select to say it is an Attack action. Is this a thing in other game sheets? 3. If so, then that's how it would be implemented.  I have attached screenshots of the Player character sheet and the NPC charcater sheet, both of which allow for options of adding attacks to the actions, so you know how it would be implemented for D&D. Sorry, not sure if other systems are the same. Spren > The pull from sheet thing I think I maybe I worded poorly. I was just trying to say that if you add a weapon you won't get a new macro magically. You will need to manually make a token action for each thing you want on your bar. These options I have already entered into the character sheet journal that is connected to the mook. Having to redo all this work as macros, is a workable option, but can you see that it is a duplication and much more work than is an Attack button like I have suggested was in place. You both seem to not like the idea? Is there negatives to it that I am missing? Is the solution not elegant enough? Or do you think it would be difficult to implement? What am I missing, because I thought it was pretty simple. Maybe I'm not explaining it well enough?
Spren
Pro
Sheet Author
Sorry if I gave you that impression! I was just trying to be helpful and point to an existing feature that was similar to your suggestion that you may not have known about. Your suggestion is a good one and could be really beneficial to a lot of people. 
Mark
Plus
And I appreciate your suggestion... Can I do what you are suggesting without being on Pro subscription? And if you can explain it a bit better, just to help me with my general understanding of Macros. I have literally spent like only 10 minutes of them - not because I don't think they are cool - but because my campaign has started and I am flat out creating maps and setting encounters up so simply have not had time, but I certainly want to! (And please correct me if any of my assumptions are wrong - I wont be offended :) Macros are global, right? They don't get saved to a Character sheet or such? So the little macro buttons you had in your screensnap get generated each time you click on a token and make it active, yes? So is there a Macro variable that can grab the description of the Attack action that I am wanting to see?  I can see there are variables for stats like Base Attack modifier, Dex, Proficiency, etc... But almost all the monsters I have seen have different attack modifiers based on what weapon they grab. For example the Gnoll has +4 when using Sword, but +3 when throwing spear. So how would I use your suggestion to Show as descriptive buttons, for ANY token i click on, ALL their available attacks, as soon as I drop them from the Journal onto the map, without having to modify any Macro each time I drop a token? As I said, right now I have a workaround that does show me what I need, but shows me more than I need and takes up a lot of screen space, by ALT-Double-Clicking on a Token that has a journal attached, it shows the Attack options and even allows you to click on them to make the dice roll. But I would prefer a quicker option to make combat flow faster. If I can make it work with your Macro suggestion in the meantime, I'll give it a crack. :)
Spren
Pro
Sheet Author
You can do it without being a pro subscriber. I found this video that explains it in a simple way: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTGMa5LiMPY I can also spend a little time with you on discord if you like and go over it. PM me if you want to chat.

Edited 1554643926
Mark
Plus
Great video!  Trying to implement it...  OK, doesn't take too long to implement but it certainly adds a bit of work. Still, I think my idea has merit... There is certainly info there that would be tough to show, and the info is already entered into the sheet, so you wouldn't need to set up macros for each character and each mook. But thanks for the link. Appreciate it.
This is a great idea! +1! (My own dream is that this idea will be even better when Roll20 allows subscribers to import character data (XML,CSV,TXT) from local files made by third party character management tools. Then I'd be beatific!) 
Mark
Plus
OK, Spren... I've been using the Token Action macro suggestion and I'll say that it works pretty well. But, it's not without a considerable amount of effort when it comes to setting up monsters. I've watched Cody's videos on setting up templates and that helps too, but there is still an amount of work to make sure the final NPC character sheet and the Token Action buttons are correct (mostly because of the off action numbering in the character sheet)... So there is all that. Next, I am setting up the Token Actions for all my players (since they don't particularly want to learn Macros at this stage) and I have a sneaking suspicion that all these macros are going to have to be changed once they character goes up a proficiency bonus, or changes their weapons, or... Changes their spells, or... Seemingly any number of changes they make.... Holy cow!!! What work am I putting on myself?! :( In short, I stand by my suggestion and hope I get at least the minimum 10 votes to keep it alive for any spare votes once development is complete on some of the bigger voted items.

Edited 1555350226
Spren
Pro
Sheet Author
Yeah it's a bunch of work. If you're only doing a few it's perfect but otherwise it can be tedious. There are api scripts that can create them for you if you are a pro. But in the end I am with you, it would be nice if it was automatic and just pulled from your sheet like in your image.
Mark
Plus
Come on folks... Another few votes to keep this from being closed.  Surely there are plenty of votes attached to suggestions that are already in development. Those are wasted votes. Please consider flicking one here. :)