Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Struggling with Macros in Handouts

Hi all, It's probably something easy - i've done some searching but can't seem to find a way that works;So apologies in advance if i'm missing something obvious. I have a simple test macro called - TestMe - it just does /w gm Test Hello Work please I wanted to try and make a hyperlink or button or anything really that a player can click and it'll run the macro. Any thoughts on if this is possible / or how to do it?
When editing the macro, scroll down. Theres a box where you can give your players access to the macro.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Note that if it is not a Token Macro, they will need to turn on the display of the macro button for their Macro Bar. It will be listed in their Collections tab, once you grant access to all players. Unless there is a specific reason you wanted a clickable macro-activating button in the text of a handout?
Sorry I should have been more specific! The players are starting to slowly acquire more and more magic items many of which have their own individual spell like effects and unique effects. I was trying to make a macro for each item that would just show the text from the item in chat so I wouldn't have to dig through handouts each time a player uses one of their items.  So when the player wants to use their Sword of Awesome Flames Effect Number 7, they can click a button/picture/hyperlink in their item handout and it posts the effect in chat so I can see it and reference it without needing to open the handout myself

Edited 1555060798
Kavini
Roll20 Production Team
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
Compendium Curator
I believe what you're looking for is Journal Command Buttons . Basically you create a link in the handout, and add a backtick (`) before the command and it'll output a macro.
Hey Nic B. It would be helpful if there was a picture in the wiki on what this looks like just like the example below it. I looked at the description and i don't even know where to start after reading this. I'm sure there is a better way to explain this than what is currently there in the wiki.