Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

AFoW Line of Sight Woes

I am working on a large subterranean dungeon crawl for my private, "Bridge Between Worlds" campaign. My issue right now is that I am fussing with how the fog is revealed. I would hope that if a player comes around a corner and enters a large lit room they would be able to see the whole room. Instead nothing seems to reveal the fog except their specific AFoW view distance and moving around the map. Below I will lay out the general nature of the problem, from a test page. I have turned on AFoW and Dynamic Lighting I even made a character sheet for the torch and set the token to represent said "character": (The Orange Box is on the dynamic lighting layer, the players are on the object layer, and torch on the map layer) The following is the LoS of the Dwarf the next best seer of things. To compensate for the lighting not working as I was hoping I gave characters with darkvision 15ft of AFoW. However, Dim Light reveals is on, and the dwarf has 60 feet of dim light being emitted to represent Dark Vision (I have found with Dim starting at 0 it reduces the overall output of the bright light to a degree that 72ft of bright actually lights 60ft of map, at least it used to, which I'll round on in the end) Next I have a human player token, I have similarly found that I absolutely must set at least 5ft view to have any hope of them navigating. He is 35ft from the torch and should very easily be able to see the light it gives off, banishing the fog between (unless I am just missing some key fundamental piece): Another human token, I have set the player to be able to control both the torch and their token. Even still the fog is not revealed, though the player can see the light in the small patch of squares where they were originally generated and thus had revealed the area. The only fix I have been able to employ is a bit roundabout. It is to set the torches to view 40ft of Fog, and make all players able to edit and control the torch. Which changes Giles view to: While this may seem to fix it I still don't understand why this is the case. I do not remember this kind of trouble with my scifi game, Star Runners - Dune Walker Initiative made last year in the late summer/early fall. And indeed I am not seeming to experience at least some of these problems there. As an example the floor lights in the Progentior Complex show their light for all players. Though I tried making the character wander off the map and their light source still failed to reveal previously unseen squares: No character sheet for the floor light, so also no need to give Talruuk control over it to see it's light broadcasted. Actually indeed, if I give him bright light he sees for days. So I'm not sure what's up here and it seem really strange that it appears to be working fine on my old maps but not new games.
I post all of this and seem to find my solution. If I just completely disable the AFoW view distance on the token. And set any light emitting token to have a greater than 0ft dim light things appear to start working better. So mayhaps I found the specific use issue. My that was a headache though hope I've got it all sorted out. Thanks for anyone who takes the time to look this over. Also maybe I'm just a total numbskull but I couldn't find much in the way of user guidance on the details of these settings. A tooltip explanation on the function of AFoW view distance would be greatly appreciated. Also maybe a few more Fog of War youtube videos to dive a bit deeper than the very basics. Thanks again, hopefully I can get my crew dungeoning on afterall which is all I really want = D
(Actually for some reason, even setting dim light to 0 is working now, with dim light reveals enabled. Well excellent haha. I have hit this wall a few times in the last week on several maps, perhaps I had simply been approaching it all wrong from the beginning \_(-.-)_/)
Actually on the new map if the light source does not have a character sheet I am still experiencing an issue.    Here's my ogre, outside the walls, with a bit of light from himself on the 1st catacombs, just outside his vision is a light source definitely shedding enough light to reveal the map, the lantern has no character sheet and thus no player has control. The ogre cannot see it's light and reveal the unseen grid beyond the walls of the dungeon where he is.     (Ogre's View if Lantern Represents Torch, which is controllable by all players and the Narrator (myself).)

Edited 1555191987
So if I have to make all torches controllable by all players, then they will be able to see any prelit area of the map with preternatural vision unless I either don't add the light to the maplayer until they arrive, or alternatively don't give them control of the individual lightsource until they arrive at it. And it seems really odd that this is not the case in my older Star Runners - Dunewalker Initiative but it is the case in the newer Bridge Between Worlds.