Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Can a friend use the Monster Manual in my campaign?

So, in short, I created a campaign but it's my friend who is going to DM. I gave DM permission to him. If he buys the Monster Manual with his account, can he use it in this campaign?
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Short answer is no. Longer answer is all purchased compendium based books are sharable by the game's creator not players or co-GMs..
I just did a search for a monster in a game that I am a player in, and I can see it. The creator of the account does not have the monster manual. Note that I am not a DM in the game, so I don't know if I could drag the monster onto the map, though. This begs the questions about me owning the players handbook, and the DM not. Are you suggesting that I cant use mine to level up my character?

Edited 1555457174
Stephanie B.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
When you buy a compendium, you always have access to it in games, even if you didn't create the game. As the creator of the game, you can also share your compendiums in it. If you share compendiums in your game, your friend would have access to any compendiums you own as well as the ones he has bought (the MM, for example). Edit to add: Your friend, however, would not be able to share his Monster Manual to other players in the game. As a GM, though, he would be able to drag/drop monsters from the compendium into the game.