Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Hey! I need help for a type of session I want to have. It has to do with Tokens!

So pretty much, One of my players will be absent during the next campaign. instead of just not having a session, I figured a quick session would do - and I figured a free-for-all would be fun. But the problem is I want to put them all on the same map but not necessarily let them see each other unless they actually can. so is there a way to hide the individual player's tokens from the other players?
Kraynic
Pro
Sheet Author
Use a totally transparent token.  Give it an aura so the controlling player can see it. Keep their normal token on the GM layer while they are using the invisible one.  Swap as needed. 
Kraynic said: Use a totally transparent token.  Give it an aura so the controlling player can see it. Keep their normal token on the GM layer while they are using the invisible one.  Swap as needed.  I thought about that. But I have four players, so how would I do combat if only two of them find each other at a time?
4 copies of the same map, put each player on a different map, and you go between the maps updating them after each turn.  Might be tedious, but should work well enough.
Brian C.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Compendium Curator
Skyla said: Kraynic said: Use a totally transparent token.  Give it an aura so the controlling player can see it. Keep their normal token on the GM layer while they are using the invisible one.  Swap as needed.  I thought about that. But I have four players, so how would I do combat if only two of them find each other at a time? You have several options. Ordered by effectiveness to achieve your goals and ease If you upgrade to a plus account, even just for the one month, this would all be handled automatically for you. With lights and Dynamic Lighting walls, players that can see each other can, and those who are on opposite sides of walls cannot. This is the only solution that will actually work well. As a warning, don't also put Advanced Fog of War on the map. It is broken at the moment. Use rollable table tokens for each player, with one side transparent and one side the normal token. This will speed things up with changing back and forth rather than using the GM layer. The downside is that when one character is revealed, it is revealed for everyone. If you use multiple maps, you do not need the invisible tokens. Moving the tokens between maps is sufficient, but it will slow down your game as you keep everything up to date between up to four maps and double-check who can see who. You also run into a problem where A and B can see each other, and B and C can see each other, but A and C cannot see each other. Either you place all 3 on one map, or you create another copy of B, place them on second map so they have a copy with both A and C, and swap player B back and forth between the two maps depending on who they care about at the time.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
If you don't mind forgoing the use of tokens that actually look like the characters, this might work: Create four  Invisible Tokens , each with an invisible aura that can be edited but not seen by players. Say, Red, Blue, Green, Yellow Assign control of each token to the players who should be able to see them. Players 1 and 2 control Red and Blue, 3 & 4 get Green and Yellow. In actuality, the tokens represent 1R, 2B, 3G, and 4Y. One color to a player. However, since the players of the RB team can control the RB tokens, they can see the auras. The GY players cannot. The GM can naturally see everyone. If the players need their regular tokens for token actions or some other purpose, they can be kept to the side of the map, easy to access, but not representing the placement of the aura'd tokens on the battlefield. It's a weird setup, and I hope I explained it well enough, but it should do exactly what you want, and you can reassign control on the fly to represent any change in conditions.
Brian C.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Compendium Curator
keithcurtis said: If you don't mind forgoing the use of tokens that actually look like the characters, this might work: Create four  Invisible Tokens , each with an invisible aura that can be edited but not seen by players. Say, Red, Blue, Green, Yellow Assign control of each token to the players who should be able to see them. Players 1 and 2 control Red and Blue, 3 & 4 get Green and Yellow. In actuality, the tokens represent 1R, 2B, 3G, and 4Y. One color to a player. However, since the players of the RB team can control the RB tokens, they can see the auras. The GY players cannot. The GM can naturally see everyone. If the players need their regular tokens for token actions or some other purpose, they can be kept to the side of the map, easy to access, but not representing the placement of the aura'd tokens on the battlefield. It's a weird setup, and I hope I explained it well enough, but it should do exactly what you want, and you can reassign control on the fly to represent any change in conditions. I am not sure from the description that there actually were teams. It sounded more like a battle royale, but I think this is the best way to handle it if you want to avoid going to a Plus subscription for the month. To try to explain it slightly differently Give each player an invisible token tinted a different color. Let everyone know which color represents which character. Give each player ownership of their token. Whenever two tokens should be able to "see" each other, give both players ownership of the other player's token. Whenever two tokens no longer can see each other, remove the players' ownership of the token that does not belong to them. That will allow the players to see each other only when they should with a minimum of bookkeeping by you.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
That's basically a restatement of what I was saying. I used that particular arrangement for demonstration purposes. The control can be mixed and matched as needed by the scenario.
keithcurtis said: If you don't mind forgoing the use of tokens that actually look like the characters, this might work: Create four  Invisible Tokens , each with an invisible aura that can be edited but not seen by players. Say, Red, Blue, Green, Yellow Assign control of each token to the players who should be able to see them. Players 1 and 2 control Red and Blue, 3 & 4 get Green and Yellow. In actuality, the tokens represent 1R, 2B, 3G, and 4Y. One color to a player. However, since the players of the RB team can control the RB tokens, they can see the auras. The GY players cannot. The GM can naturally see everyone. If the players need their regular tokens for token actions or some other purpose, they can be kept to the side of the map, easy to access, but not representing the placement of the aura'd tokens on the battlefield. It's a weird setup, and I hope I explained it well enough, but it should do exactly what you want, and you can reassign control on the fly to represent any change in conditions. Brian C. said: keithcurtis said: If you don't mind forgoing the use of tokens that actually look like the characters, this might work: Create four  Invisible Tokens , each with an invisible aura that can be edited but not seen by players. Say, Red, Blue, Green, Yellow Assign control of each token to the players who should be able to see them. Players 1 and 2 control Red and Blue, 3 & 4 get Green and Yellow. In actuality, the tokens represent 1R, 2B, 3G, and 4Y. One color to a player. However, since the players of the RB team can control the RB tokens, they can see the auras. The GY players cannot. The GM can naturally see everyone. If the players need their regular tokens for token actions or some other purpose, they can be kept to the side of the map, easy to access, but not representing the placement of the aura'd tokens on the battlefield. It's a weird setup, and I hope I explained it well enough, but it should do exactly what you want, and you can reassign control on the fly to represent any change in conditions. I am not sure from the description that there actually were teams. It sounded more like a battle royale, but I think this is the best way to handle it if you want to avoid going to a Plus subscription for the month. To try to explain it slightly differently Give each player an invisible token tinted a different color. Let everyone know which color represents which character. Give each player ownership of their token. Whenever two tokens should be able to "see" each other, give both players ownership of the other player's token. Whenever two tokens no longer can see each other, remove the players' ownership of the token that does not belong to them. That will allow the players to see each other only when they should with a minimum of bookkeeping by you. Thank you  both! I'm going to be using this! I'll let you know how it goes :P