Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Players can't join game

hi I've just set up a server and while my players have been able to accept the invite, when they join the session they can't see anything or find their characters in their jounrals I've assigned the characters to each player as; able to view and able to edit but they still can't do anything. I've even tried making the characters viewed and edited by all and that does nothing either is this a server issue? I can see everything just fine but my players cannot. I've recently bought modules for the game maybe that's affecting it? here's a few examples of what my players are seeing   
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
That usually indicates a slow connection or difficulty of the computer/browser to handle the data quickly. For reference, I almost never see it on my desktop Mac/ethernet, but often see it on my Chromebook/wifi. It can also happen when there is a problem with the shard your game is running on, or any kind of issue that affect connectivity in general (ISP problems, etc) It's almost always temporary, and shouldn't affect visibility of maps or characters. It's more likely to be an issue with your lighting setup. Some things to check: 1) what are your page settings? If you have turned on regular Fog of War, the default is completely obscured. You will need to manually clear areas for your character tokens to see. 2) Is there a light source on the page? Either the characters must emit light (such as a torch that anyone can see, or darkvision that only they can see) 3) Try turning off Advanced Fog of War. It is broken right now and leads to unexpected and unwanted results. 4) Probably doesn't need to be said, but I'm trying to be thorough: are the tokens you are placing for the characters on the same page that the player flag is on? 5) Test players' ability to see anything at all by putting their tokens on a test page that has no lighting or vision settings active at all. If they can see that, then the visibility problem is almost definitely one of the issues above.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
As a matter of curiosity, is there a reason you have two instances of the game open simultaneously? That can lead to slowdown, too.

Edited 1555681288
Hi Strong Moist, We're sorry to her that they are experiencing issues with this. Please have them carefully work through to the first three steps of our guide to Solving Technical Issues : Step 1: Make sure to use the right browser             - Please have them check if these issues persist when using both Chrome and Firefox. Step 2: Ensure that there are no extensions/addons interfering with Roll20             - Please disable all add-ons/extensions. Step 3: Clear cache If they are still having issues after following the above steps, please have them work through step 4 and provide the console log. We should only need one console log per each error message/ issue. For example, one for connection interrupted, one for page unresponsive, etc.  Please provide the following information as well: The name of the game (or games) with which they are having connection issues Approximately how long the issue persists Approximate geolocation Whether this affects all players in your game or some Thanks!