Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Dungeon Master's Guide 5E

Edited 1555899573
I see it's been asked before as far back as two years ago. No meaningful answer though - just dodges. When will we get the 5e DMG? I appreciate that it might be difficult to include everything from the get go due to feature shortcomings somewhere in the API mix, but there's plenty which could be being utilized today. And it would not be the only title revised after release with new features as you get that stuff sorted. If you don't think it's a $50 release, don't release it for $50. World Building - toss it; Roll20's scope doesn't include world building, there are outstanding products out there already for that. However, can always have the readable pages in the compendium. Deities and Cosmology - only need it in so much that they can be selected by characters and provide minimal details.  However, can always have the readable pages in the compendium. Mapping - toss it; Roll20's scope doesn't include world building, there are outstanding products out there already for that.  However, can always have the readable pages in the compendium. Factions / Renown - can be integrated as far as character backgrounds and basic information. Creating a Campaign - Better as a wiki article on general campaign creation - no need for 5e specifics, so cut it. However, can always have the readable pages in the compendium. All the assorted rollable tables - Bring em along. Fantasy Flavors - Allow us to set the value total for point buy. The Planar stuff - Easy compendium information. Creating Adventures - Easy compendium information. NPCs - already covered in Roll20; potential for a NPC-amancer All the various class options and such - need true implementation into Charactermancer, etc. (eg paladin oathbreaker) Adventure Environments - ... compendium All the various new gear (vehicles, magic items, firearms...) Traps - we need you on the GM layer (or a new trap layer) Lots more straight to reading material for the compendium. Treasure - tool for the active GM would be nice Magic items... more compendium items woo! "Master of Rules" - optional rules for charactermancer and the compendium Appendices mix of art assets, compendium entries, and rollable tables. If you are a forum champion about to respond with " The Devs are absolutely working on D&D 5th Edition content ... yada yada " save it (peace). Already read it. =D I, and others, want a hard ETA on when you're going to take my (our) money for a DMG. $$$  Hard ETA :) lol
My mind is boggled that the DMG still isn't available, in 2019, but I'm pretty sure all you'll get for your (entirely reasonable) query is the standard, "We're working on it, can't discuss hard timelines, etc." boilerplate.
I also have the feeling that there are a few industrious talented folks in the community who might be looking for some contract work on the side. Not me though - I can be very un-industrious when I put my mind to it, and am able to clearly demonstrate a lack of talent for many things.
Dean
Roll20 Team
Thanks for expressing your feedback and frustration. We really want the DMG too! To give our perspective, we could technically release some version of the DMG in the near future. But it would be little more than copy/paste text that we're contractually obliged to charge a premium for. Personally, I don't think that's a fair value for the majority of our customers. I want people to feel fantastic about a purchase, not taken advantage of. It's why we've developed some of the most useful tools to launch alongside the PHB and XGE. The Charactermancer and drag & drop features are so valuable to the VTT experience that it's now hard to imagine those books launching without them. The DMG is next up on our D&D product feature development list. We have some really great and useful ideas being played with. We expect to have good news in the later half of the year, but can't offer more timeline details than that. Nailing down exact dates for large development features is a precarious business. I'd put my money on seeing something by or before late 2019, but we won't have any official news and more secure timelines for a little bit still. I appreciate your patience and criticisms, and thanks for letting me give some insight into our thought process. I do like your idea of adding features to a product as it ages, and I do think such avenues may have greater options for value as we also clean up and re-work some of our compendium tools overall.
Absolutely understandable, and thank you for your response. I do want to ensure you that I think what you've done already is pretty amazing. The functional features (the VTT integration as you say) is certainly the main component I am sure everyone wants - likely possessing the DMG in another/print format already. Regardless I look forward to helping out with any testing you do on the dev server. Thank you again!
Dean
Roll20 Team
Thanks Curtis :)
+1 to this post and thanks for the feedback, Roll20 team. I too am looking forward to it.
why not offer a copy paste for 50 for now and those who buy in could also see those process upgrades as they happen. best of both worlds and while you can't offer a hard time line on it. you said it is next on the list which i hope your right about a latter 2019 release but experience has told me that it will happen or it will not happen and nothing we say will change that. i have seen and read the same boilerplate yet newer WOTC official products get released faster which suggest that either they are required due to licensing issues to release them first and each old product will always take a back seat. as it stands i downgraded my account and stopped running 5e online due to the lack of the dmg if i have to open the book anyway then run it IRL.