Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Can Pathfinder Modules be mondified for DnD 5E

Hello,  I was wondering if anyone has modified a Pathfinder module for DnD 5E?  If so was it an easy conversion?  How did you make it work?
Brian C.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Compendium Curator
I imagine it would look a lot like it would if you took the Crow's Rest Island  module (Pathfinder) and created a 5e game with it. My understanding is that if you create a game with a module that uses the Pathfinder sheet but use a 5e character sheet instead, the following things will happen: All the maps, tokens, dynamic lighting and other things on the VTT will be largely unchanged All handouts will still be linked and contain their artwork and text The tokens will be linked to blank 5e character sheets The work you are probably looking at: Fill in all the 5e NPC character sheets. Most of the monsters will probably have a lower challenge rating in 5e compared to Pathfinder. Re-link the tokens and set new token bar settings for the adjusted hp, ac, etc. Scan the handouts for DCs and types of ability checks and saving throws that need to be adjusted or do that on the fly. Remove all but the most special of the magic items and adjust their power downward. In other words, higher challenge rating grunts don't need +1 weapons. Adjust encounter sizes. My understanding is that Pathfinder encounter building is reasonably close to D&D 3.5, which had larger amounts of creatures of the same challenge rating to have an encounter of the same difficulty when compared to 5e, and single monster encounters may not challenge the PCs at all. In other words, using the same number and challenge rating of creatures in 5e will likely create an encounter that is too difficult (or possibly too easy with a single creature). Those are some of the things I have had to work through while converting War of the Burning Sky from 3.5 to 5e. If you are comfortable with building monsters and encounters in 5e and have the time to do it, then running an adventure you like that was originally created for a different rule set can be a lot of fun. The Roll20 Pathfinder modules will still give you the bulk of the VTT portion of the work (map, tokens, dynamic lighting) as well as the adventure text.
I've played a converted version of Curse of the Crimson Throne. The DM did all of the work and it took him a long while to do it by hand. It's possible for sure, definitely time consuming to do it by hand, but it can be so worth it imo.