Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

[Release] Game of Shields

Paul C.
Marketplace Creator
Did you love the politics in Game of Thrones or the Game of Houses in the Wheel of Time novels? Than you're going to love the Game of Shields. The Game of Shields is a complete rules system for introducing politics into your campaign! About ten years ago I tried to do a big political d&amp;d campaign and it just fell flat. Players couldn't keep track of all the factions, they didn't know their options and so on. It was clear RPGs needed a good rule system for doing politics. Since then, I've been tinkering with the Game of Shields and have play-tested it in several campaigns. After ten years, and a couple of overhauls, it finally runs like a vampire hiding from the sun (which is to say, fast and smooth).&nbsp; You can use the Game of Shields with any RPG gaming system. Check it out in the Roll20 marketplace here: <a href="https://marketplace.roll20.net/browse/gameaddon/4070/game-of-shields" rel="nofollow">https://marketplace.roll20.net/browse/gameaddon/4070/game-of-shields</a>
Pantoufle
Pro
Sheet Author
Translator
Hello, this looks like very interesting! Could you give more informations on how the system works? Cards? Scripts? Random tables? I'm being curious :)
Paul C.
Marketplace Creator
Normal 0 21 false false false NL X-NONE X-NONE MicrosoftInternetExplorer4 /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:Standaardtabel; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-priority:99; mso-style-qformat:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0cm; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; line-height:115%; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:11.0pt; font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-fareast; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi;} Hi Pantoufle, &nbsp; The addon comes with a 20 page guide that goes into all the details. I'll try to give a short simplified explanation of the system here: &nbsp; Every group or hero that has gained enough influence to matter politically is called a faction. Each faction is assigned an heraldic shield. Heraldic shields have four aspects: shield shape, colour, symbol, and nr. of symbols. The aspects stand for different features of the faction. For instance, blue is the colour of factions who primarily produce non-physical services as a course of income, (such as entertainers and magicians). The guide explains how you can change these meanings to fit your campaign. &nbsp; With a number of shields you can create a political arena. Players can instantly see where each faction stands politically. The aspects also tell players who would form an alliance and how strong those alliances would be.You can flip shields if you want to keep apsects hidden. &nbsp; You can have up to 81 factions in a campaign fighting for political power, but I almost never use that many. An arena usually consists of about 9 factions. &nbsp; Forming an alliance An alliance within an arena always consists of three factions. (And factions can be part of multiple alliances.) In order to form an alliance an aspect of each faction must be ALL THE SAME or ALL DIFFERENT. For instance, all factions must be blue OR they must all be of a different colour. (You can't have 2 the same and one different because that would upset the balance in an alliance.) &nbsp; Breaking an alliance Bribe, blackmail, set up, manipulate, etc. The guide describes different ways to destroy alliances to shift the balance of power. Not all alliances are equally strong (all the same aspects, are stronger than all different aspects). The faction who gains the most political power becomes the alliance leader, and can use their power to enter stronger political arena's. &nbsp; Eventually players could dominate all arenas in a kingdom, become the real power behind the throne, etc. The system focuses on gaining favors more than on gaining money. &nbsp; That's the really short version of the rules. There are lots of examples in the guide. And tips for running a political campaign. Have fun! Paul
Pantoufle
Pro
Sheet Author
Translator
Thx Paul for answering! That seems cool, I'll test it for sure! These notes and examples are exactly what I was wondering :)
Paul C.
Marketplace Creator
You’re welcome :) If you have any questions, just let me know.