Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Player-specific sections on handouts

I run several games off the same server, all groups participating in the same interconnected narrative. The consequence of this is that several players may have diverging information on one same NPC - Player 1 knows him as a friendly barkeep, player 2 knows about his smuggling activities, player 3 knows that he used to be a mercenary lieutenant. As things are now, there's no way to compartmentalize this information without either creating three different handouts for this same npc, each with different info, or having the players keep extensive notes on every npc they encounter (which, as there are over 500 of them, gets tedious fast). So I was wondering if there could be a way to fragment handouts to do the same thing the "GM Notes" section does, except we could restrict a section to a specific player of group of players. It would avoid cluttering the journal and provide greater clarity in dealing with fragmented knowledge on a piece of lore or npc.
Ziechael
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
As a pro subscriber there is likely an API solution to this... as an idea I think it has solid, albeit niche, functionality though :) Will page an expert and see if they can help you in the interim as my scripting is... yeah... let's not discuss it...
API is fine by me if there's any that does the trick! It is kind of a niche function, so I doubt it'll be addressed. Look forward to hearing what your expert contact has to say about it. I'd script it myself, but my scripting skills are... well... nonexistant.
Scott C.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
I've got some ideas on how to address this via API. I'll try working something up in my free time, which admittedly is not a great amount.
The Aaron
Roll20 Production Team
API Scripter
API: I had started a system that would let the GM edit a handout and then mark sections as applying to particular players, and it would generated player specific handouts with the subset of information, I didn't get much beyond experimenting, but it certainly can be done.
One day I'll find the time to educate myself into API scripting... I really appreciate the swift return however, and will be looking forward to whatever you think up!
Thanks for the suggestion! After 30 days, Suggestions and Ideas with fewer than 10 votes are closed and the votes are refunded to promote freshness. Your suggestion didn't build the right momentum this time, but feel free to submit it again! We find that the best suggestions describe the problem you are having, and the solution you want. You can learn more about the process of making suggestions on the Roll20 Wiki! More details can be found here .