Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

NPC_AC

Why does this exist? I'm trying to create a macro that calls out the AC for a selected token, and finding that in order to do that I actually need two macros. One for using on PCs and one for using on NPCs. What is the purpose of these being two separate things? Is there a macro that can get the  correct  ac regardless of whether the character sheet is for players or npcs?

Edited 1559849373
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
I'd like to understand, too. I mean  I understand the NPCs don't always follow the same rules, but it wold be nice to have a figured attribute that takes the correct final value. Currently I have PC tokens linked to ac and NPC tokens linked to nc_ac in bar one. If I need the ac of a token, I have to read it from the bar1 value. But I can't figure out a way to read it from the sheet.
Same goes for speed; I can't figure out why I there is a difference in npc_speed and speed... it's both pretty much the same. I have a macro to set up my npc's all nice, but can't use it because of those to arguments for my players.

Edited 1559915069
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
I use separate setup macros for PCs and NPCs, but mostly because NPC hit points aren't linked on mook tokens, and other setup differences. You might get better response in the official sheet feedback thread , by the way. The dev in charge of the sheet might never see this otherwise.
Andreas J.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Translator
It has likely something to do with how the sheetworkers are made to calculate some stats differently for PC/NPC. Sure sounds like a few core cases like AC/speed could be nice to be consolidated into working off the same attribute, but have no idea how those parts of the sheet work. I've brought up this topic with the others on my team.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Thanks Andreas! Working off of common attribute names (even just for reading values) would be a real plus for certain macros.
Andreas, thanks for the response. I hadn't realized this was the only issue. There are a lot of attributes and attribute names that leave me scratching my head. Why is passive perception called passive wisdom? Nobody calls it passive wisdom in any group I've met for 5e, and passive wisdom would in fact be a separate attribute.

Edited 1560029472
GiGs
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Andreas J. said: It has likely something to do with how the sheetworkers are made to calculate some stats differently for PC/NPC. Sure sounds like a few core cases like AC/speed could be nice to be consolidated into working off the same attribute, but have no idea how those parts of the sheet work. I've brought up this topic with the others on my team. This is very likely the problem: the stats are calculated differently. But it's a problem that could easily be solved by the designer. They could have the sheetworker that calculated npc stats only trigger when the sheet type flag is set to npc, and the pc ones trigger when it's set to pc. Then you can use the same final ac and speed stat for both, even if the foundational attributes are different. Edit:  even easier, calculate things exactly the same, and just have, say, AC, which is just set by the sheet type attribute, getting the appropriate final stat from either pc or npc stat as appropriate. Such a thing really should be implemented, since it makes it easier for players and GMs setting up macros, You dont have to examine the sheet to figure out what the relevant stats are called, and use different macros for each. As it is you cant use a targetting macro, because the AC stat is different depending on who you are targeting, and that's a problem.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
GiGs said: This is very likely the problem: the stats are calculated differently. But it's a problem that could easily be solved by the designer. They could have the sheetworker that calculated npc stats only trigger when the sheet type flag is set to npc, and the pc ones trigger when it's set to pc. Then you can use the same final ac and speed stat for both, even if the foundational attributes are different. That's what I said, only more intelligent and programmer-y sounding.
GiGs
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
So it is, hehe. 
Jola, weiyes, etoi ablando jesppanol