Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Dundjinni and its Use on Roll20

Hi all!  I apologize if this is in the wrong forum, but I couldn't really think where to put it.   I've been trying to create maps lately, and I couldn't help but notice that Roll20's token/map browser seems to link to Dundjinni above all other sites when searching under Tokens/Maps and things like that.  So I decided to look into Dundjinni and I was wondering: Is it actually free to use?  I don't think I quite understand whether it's public domain or not, and thus safe for me to use things from there without risking copyright infringement claims from the creators should they find out.  Please give me a leg up on this; I've asked all around Reddit and no one seems to be willing to give me a straight answer: Am I fine using Dundjinni assets in Roll20, or should I shy away from it?  Is there any ambiguity?

Edited 1559920053
Unless you plan on selling maps, making profit via stream, other donation service, or claim that you made it there is no infringement.   You need to contact them about a different license use.  Obviously there is much more depth to this if you do any of these things.
Hi Swordsman! Our free search prioritizes mapping, like Dundjinni, as specifically allowed by their legal notice. Please refer to their site for information on their practices. Thank you for caring about this!

Edited 1559928971
Thanks so much!  I looked around their website but I could only find a notice from an administrator from last year, and a couple of people agreeing it'd "Always been this way" without being able to find proof myself. This is a real load off my mind. So just to make sure I understand this correctly: Are the objects that were released under the CSUAC on Dundjinni  not  meant for use on Roll20, or are they okay too?  Should I be clicking through and reading the years they were posted? I can absolutely do that if it's a requirement, but I'm a bit silly on legalistics and I find it hard to understand. My apologies. Edit: I think the question I'm trying to ask is whether or not those restrictions mean I can't use anything that was posted on their site's forums from 2004 to 2008.  If so, that'd be a bummer; it seems to be a lot of the best and most nuanced pieces, but I will work around it!
Those particular concerns would be best posed to Dundjinni directly. They'll be able to clarify any questions you have about their licenses.

Edited 1560000352
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Bunny  said: Hi Swordsman! Our free search prioritizes mapping, like Dundjinni, as specifically allowed by their legal notice. Please refer to  their site  for information on their practices. Thank you for caring about this! Also, be aware that the web searches in the app are extremely out of date. They are cached from the period before Google changed its API to cut off that kind of activity. They aren't really searching the web, but a cached search from years ago. That's not to say there isn't useful stuff in there, but it will always be the same stuff.