Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Character Creation in Roll 20

Hi Guys! I'm a long-running DM looking to up the amount of DnD in my life by potentially starting up a game on here sometime soon. Cause I'm mostly a theatre of the mind type guy, I won't be getting that much use out of the VTT stuff, but was wondering what the protocol for Character Creation usually is in roll 20 games. Like, is it something done by players before session, is it more common to use the site over pen and paper sheets, that sort of stuff. Any info is appreciated, thanks.
Andreas J.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Translator
It's individual to how each DM wants to do it, just like when you play with pen n' paper face-to-face. You can browser the LFG subforums to see what other GM do. Many uses the integrated character sheet options Roll20 have thanks to how you can often do rolls directly from the sheet and it tells you clearly what stat was rolled in the chat. One thing though is that character sheet in Roll20 are data stored in individual games/campaigns, so for players to create/fill character sheets before a game they would need to go through some extra steps and for the GM to be Plus/Pro user to be able to import Character from the player's Character Vault. Of course as a GM you'd have tons of NPCs to keep track of and sometime even the simplified NPC sheet views isn't enough so all GMs don't use character sheets themselves for running a game. Many players will likely prefer the option to use the sheets available on Roll20 even if the GM would not use them. I suggest you take a look at the sheet options available for your particular edition and play around a bit to see which one you might want to use yourself, or just to see what players would experience. DnD5E sheet by Roll20 also have the charmancer option that can help with character creation.