Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Preference Questions

Edited 1560209263
So do people prefer a fully automated game, or one where you use R20 as a table top, and die roller but track hp/wounds, etc yourself? Also do you prefer the Dice to be rolled on R20 or allow players to roll in person and advise what they get? 
I'll chime in.  No question that for my games I prefer as much automation as possible, for transparency, speed, and accuracy.  There is a slight loss of aesthetics from playing in person, using your favorite dice, etc.
GiGs
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
I also prefer as much automation as possible. There's a bit more friction involved in playing the game on VTT compared to tabletop, where everyone can see the dice rolling and cheer them on or groan, can talk two at a time without being too distracting, etc. Plus, the interface itself introduces an element of clunkiness and friction that isnt there in the tabletop - you might need to explain how to do things, navigate through multiple tabs to find what you need, and so on. So everything you can do to streamline the process helps the game flow, and lets people concentrate on the fun bits. If players are distracted by having to grapple with the interface among other things, waiting for their turn to speak, etc., they can easily be less engaged and just not enjoy it as much and not contribute as much.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
I allow my players to choose their dice rolling preference, though I do not allow 3D dice. They are distracting, and most folks don't understand why the number of dice rolled does not match the number of dice reported. I go along with GiGs. In my games automation is almost always an attempt to alleviate tedious tasks or to make the interface disappear. I don't go in for animation or automatically-sprung traps or picked locks. Basically, I don't like anything that makes it feel more like a video game and less like a tabletop experience.
Andrew R.
Pro
Sheet Author
All the automation necessary. Since I’m a 13th Age GM, there’s a lot of dice to roll at Epic tier, so getting Roll20 to do all the arithmetic speeds us all up. In my next campaign I’m using the PowerCards API script for monster abilities instead of the default roll template to automate even further.