Advertisement Create a free account

Macro + Table

I looked and could not find this asked before. How can I get a Table to roll inside of a Macro, only if the Macro rolls a certain variable? I want a Macro to roll a d20. Than if the result is a 1, I want it to roll on a table. If the result is anything but a 1, I want the Macro to post in chat "It failed"
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
I'm not sure this can be done without the API. Also, conditionals are not possible in macros; they can't act one way on one die roll and another way on a different result--they don't "remember" what they have rolled. However, let's say your table has 100 entries. Create a table with those hundred entries, each with a weight of 1. Then create a result of "nothing happens" with a weight of (100*19)=1900. I think that should emulate the system, although a math genius may be along to point out where I have gone wrong. :)
thank you very much.  not I can stop racking my brain on this. lol

Edited 1560216799
Couldn't the table have two entries, Nothing Happened with a weight of 19 and the other result with a weight of 1? Edit:. Oh I see.  In the result of the weight of 1 you have another table.  You'd need the Recursive Tables API script for that.
i think i got something to work.  I was trying to use a table for the wild magic. on a roll of 2 -20 the spell goes off as normal.  on a 1 there are 50 possible outcomes. so I had the table of 50 made.  I just added "the spell goes off as normal" and set it's weight to 950..   19*50   i think this is right because, for every outcome on the "wild magic surge" list, there is 19 chances that you wouldn't have rolled on that table. I don't know for sure, but it seems to work.
Ziechael
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
I'm late to the party and this has already been solved but I never miss the opportunity to promote the Stupid Tricks thread ... You could do this with relative ease using the 'trick' mentioned here . In theory you would have your wild magic table as standard but renamed to '1' and a second table with only one entry in it of 'Nothing happens' named '0'. Then, your roll would only need to be: [[ 1t[[[1d20<1]]] ]]

Edited 1560249934
I haven't tried, but this should also work if you need a name before the 1 or 0. your tables would be "magic1" and "magic0" and the macro [[ 1t[magic[[1d20<1]]] ]] I use this with querys all the time.

Edited 1560251242
Ziechael
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Interesting point, going to test that now lol edit: Bah, doesn't seem to work in any configuration I had time to try :(
Although I have to say for this particular problem, the solution with weighing it accordingly is probably the easiest. ^^
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Ziechael said: I'm late to the party and this has already been solved but I never miss the opportunity to promote the Stupid Tricks thread ... You could do this with relative ease using the 'trick' mentioned here . In theory you would have your wild magic table as standard but renamed to '1' and a second table with only one entry in it of 'Nothing happens' named '0'. Then, your roll would only need to be: [[ 1t[[[1d20<1]]] ]] I had completely forgotten that trick!

Edited 1560590344
To clarify my suggestion: I looked into it and found I use the script rollable table macros with it. So it might not apply here. Sorry for the confusion.