Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Everything is vanishing on me!

So, I am NOT a plus user or any kind of paid subscription user. I only have so much space to put tokens in my uploaded folders. I don't have enough space to keep the several different city and dungeon types that me and my friends need for the game we are running. So I make it work by placing down all the map tokens I need and then once I am finished I delete the tokens from my folder so I can't place them down, then I add the new tokens in so that I can make the next location. But it seems like every time I go to make the next location. the one I just worked on gets so bugged out that entire tiles VANISH into thin air. Moreover whenever I try to copy/paste the tiles that are still there, It doesn't work. It won't paste. I eventually have to go and replace my folder with the old tiles and rebuild the entire city/dungeon from SCRATCH! If any of the devs are reading this, PLEASE FIX THIS STUPID ISSUE!

Edited 1560389411
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Hi Capt740 Y, You are running into the limitations of a free account. Graphics on your map are references to either items in your library, or Marketplace purchases. If you delete the images from your library, the placed assets will eventually vanish, as you have discovered. Marketplace purchases take up none of your personal storage quota, so if you find yourself running a lot of custom dungeons, it might be worthwhile to find a very versatile construction kit in the marketplace and invest in that. You can probably stretch your storage quota a lot further by reserving it for the few things the kit doesn't cover.
But, what if i'm not allowed to spend money(yet)? I would love to be able to do what you said and get some kits or something so that I don't have to deal with this issue, but I don't have cash and can't spend money on the internet(yet). Do you have any advice for until then? Also, than you very much for helping me out here I am very grateful.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
With the limitations of a free account, you will have to make some adjustments, certainly. If you are uploading your own graphics, make sure to save them with as small a file size as possible. Jpgs can be compressed quite a bit. Reduce the resolution on other graphics before you upload.  This page has more advice on file handling. Your games might not look as pretty, but you will gain quantity over quality. Don't upload your own audio, but make do with the free alternatives. If you are doing a lot of dungeon crawls, you can fake a lot of layouts by using a flagstone dungeon floor pattern to fit or tile over your background. Turn on (regular) Fog of War, and then "carve out" the rooms. You won't be able to hide specific areas for later reveal, but we're looking for compromises. There are lots of assets, including tile sets, that can be found with Google Image searches. Use these judiciously. Be aware that anything you delete from your art library will eventually disappear from your maps. Get used to recycling. You may not be able to save everything forever, so be prepared to delete anything you don't think you will need again. Keep your maps and concepts simple, and you should be able to quickly re-build. If you are running lots of small games rather than one continuing campaign, you could create an account for each game. The disadvantage here is that you won't be able to share anything from one account to another: characters, art, and so forth.
Yeah the game we are running has well over 40+ custom PCs and at least 20+ custom NPCs that we have separate, custom sheets for, so we can't really run more than one game. I think I was already limiting file sizes a little bit after I found out about the whole, "limited quota" thing, and the way we run the dungeons and raids(plus the fact that every player has GM privileges), I can't really use the fog of war method like, at all. I have just started recycling some tokens and tiles I likely won't use, so thank you for giving me that idea. Again, Thank you for helping me out. It means a lot at this point.
Ziechael
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
I simply can't top Keith's always excellent advice... but have you thought of asking for a small donation/month from your players. You are obviously a dedicated DM who wants the best out of the experience and that is worth its weight in platinum pieces. Assuming a party of 5, if each one donated just $2 to you per month you'd be able to jump straight to the pro tier... and they'd all benefit along with you. Naturally it can be a touchy subject and may not be an option but thought I'd put it out there as a potential 'quick-fix' to your woes :)
Thank you for putting that out there but unfortunately, the only players(Right now) are me, my brother, and his friend. Not only that but we all are incapable of paying for anything aside from steam games and even on steam we only have the cash we got from Christmas so we need to be careful with how we spend it. So getting donations is a flat out "no can do" sorry. Thanks for the advice though, every little bit helps.
Ziechael
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Capt740 Y. said: ...and the way we run the dungeons and raids(plus the fact that every player has GM privileges), I can't really use the fog of war method like, at all... Just to ensure you are as best prepared as possible... Are you aware of the ' Re-join as Player ' button, right clicking this and saving the link as a bookmark would allow the players who aren't GMing that session to join as players from the off, that would at least allow you to use the Fog of War method with a little bit more confidence? Also, for future reference (when/if you decide to take a sub boost), all art added to your library that would be above the free quota, is still there and usable even if your subscription expires. You just won't be able to upload anymore but assuming you upload a good wealth of art in a single month you can effectively boost your storage for a single months subscription fee ;)
Capt740 Y. said: I don't have cash and can't spend money on the internet(yet). Am I right in thinking this is because of parental rules?  If so, maybe if you asked nicely, your parents (or other relatives/friends with access to spending money on the internet) would be willing to give you a gift subscription for birthday or holidays.  I did this for a friend last Christmas.  The other person would just need to make an account and pay for the subscription time, and then they can have it sent to your account.
Juliet Y. said: Am I right in thinking this is because of parental rules?  If so, maybe if you asked nicely, your parents (or other relatives/friends with access to spending money on the internet) would be willing to give you a gift subscription for birthday or holidays.  I did this for a friend last Christmas.  The other person would just need to make an account and pay for the subscription time, and then they can have it sent to your account. Not just parental. I literally do not have money. And no allowance either. And no I am not about to pester the only friends I have to pay money for me to do something that they aren't included in and aren't really interested in right now.
Ziechael said: Just to ensure you are as best prepared as possible... Are you aware of the ' Re-join as Player ' button, right clicking this and saving the link as a bookmark would allow the players who aren't GMing that session to join as players from the off, that would at least allow you to use the Fog of War method with a little bit more confidence? Also, for future reference (when/if you decide to take a sub boost), all art added to your library that would be above the free quota, is still there and usable even if your subscription expires. You just won't be able to upload anymore but assuming you upload a good wealth of art in a single month you can effectively boost your storage for a single months subscription fee ;) #1, yes I am aware and no none of use are about to use it. They way we play just doesn't allow for it. #2, Hmmm. that's an interesting Idea but... I would need a lot of artwork first. And considering how we make tokens and characters. I don't have enough yet.