Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Can I use my compendium purchases in games without sharing them?

I'm thinking about purchasing the D&D 5e Monster Manual as I'd like to use it to help populate monsters in my games, but I'm not bothered about sharing the content with my players beyond having them fight the monsters. Does this mean I can only use it in one game if I don't have a subscription? It doesn't seem like a good purchase if that's the case, and I might as well continue hand-jamming the content from my real books and modules and copy-pasting to all my games. Thanks for your time.

Edited 1560448964
Scott C.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
You always have access to all compendium content that you have purchased as long as that compendium is enabled in the game. For instance if you had the pathfinder bestiary and the 5e MM, you would not be able to access the pathfinder bestiary in a 5e game, but would be able to look through the monster manual from the in game search. This is true even if you are a player in the game. However, if you are sharing other compendium content (like say the PHB) the monster manual will be shared as well. There's no way currently to only share certain pieces of a compendium (A feature I personally would like to see). EDIT: Tl;dr since I realized the above makes very little sense. Compendium sharing only controls whether your players can interact with your compendium data, not whether you can drag and drop items from your accessible compendium(s). Additionally, sharing has no effect on players' access to compendiums that they may have accessed.
Loren the GM
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Your purchases are always available to you in the compendium. It is only sharing the compendium with your other players that is affected, which you can toggle on and off in your game settings. Either way, you will always have access to your MM entries, and can use them in game as DM.
That's just what I was hoping to hear. Thanks, Scott. Thanks, Loren.