Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Associating isometric tokens to monsters from the official supplements

Hi, I am trying to develop some isometric maps for my D&D 5e campaign. However, before buying additional tokens/maps in the marketplace, I was wondering whether I would be able (via a macro, API, etc.) to associate any new tokens with the "classic" monsters that you can find in the Monster Manual, Mordenkainen's tome of foes etc. In other words: is there a way to create a custom token that replaces the original ones, or even better, to make a choice between different tokens every time you select a monster from the compendium? Otherwise, I think this would be a great new function, particularly to woo isometric enthusiasts like myself!!!! Thanks a lot for your help!!!
The Aaron
Roll20 Production Team
API Scripter
You can change the token used for a particular character (Monster, PC, whatever) in a given game using TokenMod.  It would look something like this, with the token selected: !token-mod {{ --set represents|"?{Monster name}" }} Followed by setting it up the way you want it, something like: !token-mod {{ --set bar1_link|hp bar2_link|ac bar1|@{selected|hp} defaulttoken }} etc.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Just for anyone else reading this, it can be done manually as well. Any time you drag a compendium creature into your campaign, it becomes the default instance of that sheet for subsequent compendium drags. If you drag in a goblin, change the token image, maybe ad a few token abilities as well, and save it as default, that is a goblin in your game. Even if you drag in a fresh goblin from the Compendium, it will be placed on the table as your local default goblin. You would need to delete your local goblin to get a "pure" Compendium goblin again.