Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Subscription level for those who don't use battlemaps and D20 systems

Hi, I've used Roll20 to play several different RPG's L5R, Star Wars, Always never now(lady blackbird offshot), Fiasco and Gumshoe.  While they all worked and i was an initial subscriber at the plus account level I cancelled as i don't use any of the extra things you get with the plus level and most importantly that voice and video stopped functioning(while it worked very good at the start) and we spent more time trying to get everyone to be visible and audible than actually playing. So we gave up on that and use hangouts now and it works flawlessly everytime. The only thing we use Roll20 for is character sheets and dice rolls and i am considering using the V5 discord dice bot for dice rolling and google drive for character sheets. Looking at the extra features you get from subscribing the only things that currently interest me are the Roll20 API features(Your custom scripts & One click install scripts). Why those specifically? Because Roll20 does not have good support for any other systems than d20 and if you want to play any other system long term you need to create your own dice rolling script and character sheet. KUDOS to those in the community that do the work on the free sheets and dice rollers that come with those, especially the V5 sheet is a thing of beauty, even though it is hamstrung by having some features needing the Pro account level. So what i suggest is some love for those who don't use d20 and battle mats. One way to do this is to have a subscription level where you don't get any battle mat features at all but only the Roll20 API features at a reasonable price(4.99 ish). Also on the free level have better support for the most common systems that are not d20. So make it easy to run campaigns for CoC, World of Darkness, FATE, Star Wars. Make accessible some of the best scripts for those on the free level. Better I know the money is in d20 and its the most bang for the buck development wise but one can dream...right?
Alan S.
Pro
Sheet Author
I am a happy PRO subscriber, but few of the PRO features are useful for most of the games I play.  I'd like to see more features added to roll20 to support PbtA and other non-d20/non-tactical games to help justify my subscription.  Honestly I'd be just as happy if they were free features as paid, so long as I know my $10 a month was going toward something I got use out of.

Edited 1561521155
GM Michael
API Scripter
At least in my games, really only two premium features matter: Dynamic Lighting and the API, both of which significantly alter how the game is played.  The former matters in dungeons, but the latter fundamentally alters how you use the platform.  I'd imagine their concern with devaluing the API is that a bunch of users would drop their subscription levels.  The other thing is that the API can emulate do most of what dynamic lighting does.  No such script exists, but it could. Personally, I'd welcome more premium features, but I worry that switching API to $5 is the wrong move.  Now, maybe there could be some system in place where you get a subset of scripts that have been whitelisted for a $5 tier.  Or maybe just flat-out sell access to certain scripts.  We have marketplace sales of other content.  Why not scripts?  Suppose all entries in the standard library could be "rented" by the month.   Unsubscribed, scripts cost 2 dollars a month each.  Once at the Plus level, each API script costs an extra dollar per month.  At Pro, it's unlimited.  I think this would also make the API more of a gateway to higher tiers of subscription, which is certainly good for Roll20.  Because of the market forces at play, the 70% royalty system marketplace creators won't really work here (it would just encourage developers to write deliberately conflicting scripts), so suppose each month a user rents your script, you get $0.50.  It's not a lot, but it adds up. Obviously, that doesn't handle pro subscriptions, but I'm not really sure what a great way to handle that would be .  Maybe like 1 dollar off the 10 dollars a month gets distributed to the authors of the scripts the pro player uses?
Thanks for the suggestion! After 30 days, Suggestions and Ideas with fewer than 10 votes are closed and the votes are refunded to promote freshness. Your suggestion didn't build the right momentum this time, but feel free to submit it again! We find that the best suggestions describe the problem you are having, and the solution you want. You can learn more about the process of making suggestions on the Roll20 Wiki! More details can be found here .